Confrontation

Note: Again, not my art. I just thought it looked cool.

I took a sip of my soda as I tuned in to the sports festival while painting. Daiki, my new boss, had given me a few small projects to work on to see how my style worked. I was painting my favorite flower, which was a sunflower, while also glancing at the tv once in a while. It was interesting to see Shota's students battle against one another. I could tell why he liked his class so much, those kids were amazing to watch.

I put down my paintbrush and wiped my hands off with a towel. I had successfully finished my second painting, so it was time for a break. While I waited for my ramen to heat up, I got a text from Nemuri.

Nemuri: Hey babes, he still hasn't said a word to you?

Me: Aren't you supposed to be working?

Nemuri: Yes, but don't answer my question with a question.

Me: No, not a word.

Nemuri: I'm sorry, I don't know what's gotten into him. Want me to ask?

Me: Thanks, but I need to do this on my own. I'm the one with the crush.

Nemuri: I KNEW IT!!

Me: Yeah yeah, do your job.

I chuckled and shook my head. I pressed on Shota's contact, but froze as I thought of what to say. He hadn't bothered talking to me ever since our almost-kiss, which was about a week or two ago. I knew he was ignoring me, but I didn't know what I did wrong. Was the idea of kissing me repulsive to him? My stomach turned at that thought. I already had a few insecurities under my belt, I didn't need to add "un-kissable" to my list.

I sighed and decided to ask him about it later. He was busy and he probably didn't want anyone to bother him. I huffed and angrily stuffed my food in my mouth before remembering that it was boiling hot. I coughed in pain as it burned my tongue. "Great," I groaned, wiping up the mess I made. Suddenly, I realized something. Why not surprise Shota at his apartment? He's had a tough few weeks already, surely he would appreciate a kind act.

"What would he like?" I wondered aloud. Shota wasn't particularly picky when it came to food, but I wanted to do something nice for him. "Cookies!" I exclaimed. You could never go wrong with chocolate chip cookies, so that's what I would make. I quickly grabbed his spare key from my drawer, excitement flooding my chest. He was going to be so surprised when he came home from the sports festival! Besides, we needed to stop ignoring each other. As I parked near his apartment, I began overthinking.

What if he didn't like chocolate chip cookies? What if he was angry with me and that was the reason he was ignoring me? I shook off my anxiety and tried to think of happier thoughts instead. This was Shota Aizawa. We were close friends and had almost kissed. He would never raise his voice at me. He always feigned indifference, even though he actually cared a lot about the people he loves. He would never try to hurt me like that.

The smile returned to my face and I knocked on his door, just in case. When no answer came, I unlocked it and got straight to work, after turning on the sports festival of course. I wasn't a baker or a chef, but I knew how to make a few things, enough for me to survive. Cookies were one of those things, and I wasn't about to mess them up. Soon enough, the apartment began to smell of the sweet dessert. I almost wanted to eat the dough right then and there, but I held back and popped them in the oven instead.

As I waited for them to be done, I sat on the couch and watched the kids battle one another. I found myself rooting for the boy called Iida. I was a big fan of the family of heroes, and I thought all of their quirks were pretty cool. To my disappointment, though, he was defeated by another boy called Todoroki. In the end, a boy that was chained up to the post won. He was powerful, sure, but his anger was questionable. I could only imagine how Shota was able to reign that boy in.