Good News and Bad News

After that day, Shota and I started to see each other more. Anytime we had a break in our shifts, or a day off, we would try to spend time together. He would come to my apartment sometimes to have dinner, or simply hang out. I also started to hang out with Nemuri and Hizashi more, as they stayed by Shota's side most of the time. At first, I thought I had developed a crush just because Shota said kind words to me, but that didn't turn out to be true. Every time I saw him, my crush deepened.

I didn't tell anyone about my feelings. I didn't need my family, or friends, to tease me. Besides, Shota was far too busy for a relationship, and it didn't seem as if he was interested in getting into one. So, I let out my feelings by painting, as usual. These were abstract, one of my favorite types of art. Sometimes they consisted of pinks, purples, and reds. Other days were a mess of blacks and grays. I put down my paintbrush and stretched. I had been thinking about this too much. Maybe Shota was right and it was time to find a small art show where I could present some of my pieces.

I smiled as I heard a knock at my door. To my disappointment, however, it was only Kaito. "Wow, happy to see you too," he chuckled.

"Sorry, I was in a mood," I shook my head. "What brings you here?"

"Woah, you've sure been painting a lot," he looked around in awe. There were more paintings on the floors than I knew what to do with. I had no place to put them in.

"Yeah, sorry about the mess," I shrugged sheepishly. I stopped short to keep from bumping into him when he thrust a piece of paper at me.

"I saw this in a store and thought you might be interested," Kaito wouldn't look at me. I curiously took the paper from him and widened my eyes as I read it. There was going to be a small auction just for art in a few days, and it was close to my apartment.

"Kaito, what-"

"I wanted to apologize," he cut me off. "I shouldn't have been so harsh on you. I guess I put my feelings over yours and I said some things I didn't mean. Can you forgive me?"

"Of course I forgive you, idiot!" I punched his arm. "How did you get this?"

"Like I said, I found it being advertised in a store."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," I hugged him as tight as I could. This could be my chance to throw myself out there! I could potentially have enough money to pay rent and all that. "I better start preparing!" I exclaimed. The auction was only in four days, and I needed to choose which ones I would present. My brother helped me decide which ones looked the most appealing, or which ones were more creative.

Of course, I didn't let him choose all of my paintings. I wanted to pick some out that I thought would impress people. After all, everyone at the auction had a taste in art, so they would want the best of the best. I looked over the canvasses that I had spread out before me. I bit at my nails, nervous thoughts invading my mind. I felt the familiar buzz of my phone in my pocket and smiled when I saw it was a picture from Shota. He had taken a picture of my apartment door with a gif of a cat that had pleading eyes. Butterflies filled my stomach at how big of a dork he was being.

I opened the door with a chuckle. "You know, you could've just knocked," I smiled.

"Now where's the fun in that?" he smirked before pulling me into a hug that I was certainly not expecting. "I heard about the auction, and I wanted to cheer you on."

"How did you know I signed up?" I hadn't told him yet because I was so focused on getting all the right art pieces.

"Your brother managed to track me down. He can be very determined." I pulled away from him and blushed bright red.