Changes

Note: The art above is not mine, I just found it on the Internet and decided to make it the cover for this chapter. 

I sighed as I got off the phone with my boss. He had been sad to see me go, but knew it was for the best. I knew I was going to take the job Daiki offered me anyway, so might as well quit my current one. I couldn't tell Shota about this, though. He would feel guilty if he knew I had quit mostly because I wanted to take care of him. As I unlocked the door to his apartment with the spare key he had given me, I felt prepared to face the day.

"Shota?" I called, looking around the apartment in confusion. I giggled as he was laying on the couch, staring blankly up at the ceiling. "Shota, what are you doing?"

"I was bored, so I decided to take a nap," he replied in a monotone voice.

"And how did that work out for you?"

"I couldn't sleep," he grumbled. I felt bad that he couldn't move around much, so it would be a welcome relief for him when I had to remove his bandages for a little bit.

"Okay, get up, I have to treat your wounds," I tapped his head.

"You don't have to do this, Izumi. Hizashi can-"

"Don't give me that look," I cut him off as I grabbed his medicine, ointment, and fresh bandages. "I'm the one who volunteered to help you, so that's what I'm gonna do. Now hold still." Carefully, I unwrapped his arms, internally cringing at the horrendous bruises. His arms were quite swollen, so I was careful to lay each one to the side. Shota hissed at the pain, and I bit back tears. I hated to be the one to cause him discomfort, but this was the only way to heal him.

Next, I unwrapped his face, trying not to focus on how bruised and broken it was. The large cut under his eye was bleeding slightly, but it looked to be scabbing over. "Okay, open your mouth, I'm gonna feed you the pills," I instructed. He did as he was told and I gingerly tilted his chin so he could drink the water I gave him. "Now, I'm gonna put the ointment on, but it may hurt," I warned. I, very carefully, lifted one of his arms to lather the cream onto the small cuts. Shota would grunt in pain once in a while, making my heart break every time.

I let his limbs breathe for a while before wrapping them up once again. I then situated myself closer to him so that I could apply the ointment to his face. I gently moved his hair away before lightly touching the cut. On instinct, Shota moved his face away and grimaced. "I know it hurts, but you have to try and keep still, or it'll hurt worse." I softly tapped the gash, noting the way Shota's jaw clenched as I did so. I rubbed the ointment in as tenderly as I could, holding back tears as his face was scrunched into a pained scowl. "There we go, all done," I mustered a smile to make him feel better.

I studied his face, not wanting to wrap him back up just yet. He looked so discouraged and frustrated. I would be too if I had to be constantly covered up, unable to see my friends or surroundings. I sighed and fondly pushed a strand of hair behind his ear. That seemed to snap him out of whatever trance he was in. "Hey, I know things are hard right now, but I'm here to help," I assured him. I bit my bottom lip nervously and leaned forward to plant a feather-light kiss right under his healing wound.

"Thank you, Izumi," he cracked a small smile. "I'm glad you're here." I blushed at the comment, unable to hold back a grin. The day was spent with movies, naps, and just enjoying each other's company. I was happy I got to spend time with him every day, all things considered. Every day I treated his wounds, and every day I longed for him to completely heal.

With the medicine, and Recovery Girl's small treatments ,my wish was soon granted. As I unwrapped his bandages again one day, he wouldn't stop looking at me, causing me to blush under his gaze. I gasped as I saw his face was completely devoid of bruises, save for a few yellowish markings. His gash under his eye was almost healed, and was scarring. "Shota, you look so much better!"