Word Gets Out

I stared at the large canvas before me, trying to decide which colors I wanted to use. Today's task was to create an abstract painting, something that I wasn't as familiar with. I liked to paint actual objects or people. Abstract was magnificent when other people did it. Whenever I did abstract, it turned out nice, but wasn't quite what I had envisioned. This time, though, I was determined to get it right.

With another look at the canvas, I squeezed out pastel yellow, lilac, and white on my palette. I wanted a challenge, so I only picked out three colors. Now, I had to figure out the best course of action. I tapped my foot, raising my brush to the canvas multiple times before dropping my hand with a sigh. Why was abstract so hard for me? I looked around me, noticing the various paint cans spattered about the room. With a smile, an idea formed in my head.

I went into the storage closet and picked out three cans of the same colors I decided on earlier. I also grabbed a stepstool so that I could reach the top of the canvas. I dipped my brush into the pastel yellow before flicking it so hard that drops of it splattered all over the canvas. I did this many times before dipping another brush into the lilac, repeating the same action as before.

By the time I was halfway through, I was covered in drops of paint. I even had some in my hair, but I didn't care. Everything else faded away as I became engrossed in my work. If I didn't like something, I would paint a few streaks instead of flicking it on. I stepped onto the stepstool so that I could reach the very top. I leaned closer to the canvas, wobbling a bit as I tried to cover the top with dots. As I leaned further in, Kimiko burst into the room with a shout of my name. I dropped my brush in a panic, flailing my arms to try and regain my balance.

"I'm sorry! I didn't know you were working so hard in here!" She ran to hold my arm as I carefully climbed down.

"Kimiko, you almost made me fall!" I exclaimed, putting my hands on my hips.

"I'm sorry, I should've knocked first, but there's something I gotta show you!" She was glancing from me to her phone repeatedly, bouncing on the balls of her feet like a child. I couldn't stay mad at her with her acting like that. "That painting looks beautiful by the way," she smiled.

"Thank you, now what is it you-"

"Why didn't you tell me you were in a relationship with Eraserhead?!" She practically shouted, her black hair bouncing as she vibrated with excitement. I felt my face pale as her words sunk in.

"W-What?" I stammered.

"Look!" She shoved her phone into my face, causing me to back away a bit. Instagram was pulled up, showing a picture of me and Shota kissing in the park. Wait, this was last night! There had been people around, yes, but I thought nobody was paying attention. I scoffed, thinking about my words to Shota. It was true, I was prepared to face things like this, but I didn't think it would be so soon.

"Well, do you have anything to say?" She took her phone back, staring at me expectantly.

"What is there to say?" I shrugged her off, trying to be nonchalant.

"Hello? You're dating a pro hero, and not just any hero, one of the most attractive ones!"

"Hey!" I exclaimed, a small pang of jealousy hitting my chest.

"Sorry, but it's true," she laughed. I stayed silent, choosing to start picking up a few things. "Izumi, you gotta give me something here!"

"I knew what I was signing up for, but this almost seems too fast," I sighed. Well, I might as well prepare for the press to hound me now.

"What do you mean?" Kimiko tilted her head.

"I talked about this with him last night. I knew that us going public would bring a lot of attention, especially since Shota's such a private person."