Newfound Friends

"Have a good day!" I smiled at the child and his mom as they left the museum. I sighed and rested my chin on my hand. It was turning out to be a very slow day at the gift shop today. I stared wistfully at the entrance to the museum. All I wanted to do was look at as many paintings and sculptures that I could, but I couldn't do that while working. I grabbed a piece of paper and started doodling. My thoughts drifted to a certain hero, and I ended up drawing him. I smiled at the cartoonish drawing, proud of my work.

We had run into each other a few times after hanging out at the bar with his friends. I had also been added into a group chat with all of them, which entertained me to no end. I pulled out my phone and texted them a gif of a grumpy cat looking bored.

Hizashi: Do we need to come save you?

Nemuri: Shota, this is an emergency! Izumi needs cheering up!

Me: You guys never cease to entertain me

Hizashi: That's what we're here for(:

Shota: We're supposed to be teaching class, can you two stop shouting over text

Nemuri: If you were in class you wouldn't be texting rn

Me: Nemuri's right, you should focus

Shota: You all are going to be the death of me

I snickered at the conversation before quickly putting my phone away to take care of a customer. We kept texting back and forth when I got a chance. Those two were right, though, they kept me heavily entertained. When I got back to my apartment that afternoon, I was surprised to see my brother cooking in my kitchen. "Hey, Kai, what're you doing here?"

"I just wanted to eat lunch with my sis," he shrugged his shoulders.

"Yeah right, you never just wanna 'hang out,'" I crossed my arms. He gave me a bowl of ramen, to which I happily accepted.

"Okay, you got me," he sighed. "I just wanted to check on you, that's all." I frowned, knowing he was worried about me, even though he wouldn't admit it out loud.

"Kai, I know you, mom, and dad are worried about me, but I'm fine. I got hurt by a villain, yes, but that doesn't make me completely helpless. I'm actually considering self defense lessons."

"I know you can take care of yourself, but you're the only one in the family without a quirk, so we can't help but worry." I furrowed my brows at his words. It was true, I was the only quirkless one in my family. All my life my parents had treated me like I was made of china. They believed that I couldn't handle myself out in the world, but Kaito was different. He had always stuck by my side to defend me, and he knew when to back off to let me handle something. Now, though, he was acting like our parents.

"Kaito, you're beginning to sound like mom and dad," I glared at him. "I can take care of myself just like any of you. You don't need to take care of me like I'm a piece of glass."

"I know, but what if something bad happens to you again? I couldn't bear to think that I could lose you!"

"I just want you all to see that I can be useful, too. Why can't you just treat me equally?" With that, I grabbed my phone and stormed out of my apartment. I didn't bother stopping as he called out my name. All my life, Kaito was supportive of my decisions and how I lived my life. What changed? My brother is my best friend and now he's treating me differently all because I don't have a quirk.

I wiped at my eyes furiously, feeling tears prick the corners of my eyes. Everyone gets hurt sometimes, even people with quirks. Heroes get hurt all of the time and no one tries to stop them, so what was so different about me? Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I quickly turned around, only to see Shota looking at me with concern. How did he find me?