Chapter Ten

I dragged my feet over the concrete sidewalk and avoided eye contact with all the other 'early risers'. Mothers pushed their babies in strollers with glassy eyes while businessmen weaved through the steady foot traffic.

The heat from my cup warmed me as I headed home. Ever since the yoga debacle, my nerves had been on fire; my heartbeat thrummed inside of me like a war drum and my legs were still weak from Gavin's innocent touch.

Maybe that was why; it was innocent. He meant nothing by it and yet, I replayed the moment in my head fifty-six times in the last half-hour alone.

I considered bringing him a coffee, but that would have given the wrong message, wouldn't it?

He stepped in to help me with Anna; that was sweet. I groaned, remembering how I sent him away afterward.

What is wrong with me?

When I reached the door to my building, another girl was exiting. She nearly hit me with the door but regardless, I gave her a quick smile. She rolled her eyes before wandering onto the city streets.

Well, fuck you too.

I climbed the stairs and prepared myself for whatever level of sarcasm that Gavin could shoot at me.

Even after spending the morning in the city, my head swirled with memories of my roommate shirtless, sweaty, and daring me to be bolder.

I shook my head and swore.

As soon as I pushed open the door, Gavin's eyes met mine. He reached for his wallet; the torn brown leather monstrosity laid on two boxes stacked on top of each other. They waited by the front door, ever faithful.

After he moved in, he took it upon himself to make himself an entryway table out of cardboard.

Creative genius. I scoffed to myself. Then, my attention turned back to my freshly showered roommate.

His wet hair dripped as he gathered his things.

I bit my lip at the sight; there was that pesky tingly sensation again. "Where are you headed to?"

"Oh, now you're talking to me?"

Fair enough.

"Listen," I started while avoiding his gaze. "I'm sorry about earlier. It got out of hand and I needed some time to cool off."

He raised an eyebrow as if deciding whether or not my apology was sincere enough. Then, one of his magnetic grins shot electricity down my spine. "I understand. What do you think I did in the shower?"

If I wasn't careful, my grip would give out and coffee would splatter onto the floor; I grabbed the cup with both hands.

Gavin seemed pleased by the reaction he got out of me. "I'm going couch shopping."

I frowned. "Without me?"

He shrugged, enjoying my frustration. "Are you paying?"

"I have money."

"Oh yes," He leaned on the doorframe. "From that job of yours,"

I nodded, already sensing a trap.

"Where is it you work again, Megs?"

Absolutely the fuck, not. If he learned I worked in the dirtiest sex shop in the city, I would never hear the end of it.

Instead, I changed the subject.

"Well, I've seen your furniture taste," I motioned toward the stacked boxes. "and I think you need a woman's touch."

Gavin's eyebrows raised and then a smirk formed on his lips. "Want to come with me then?"