Chapter Forty Three

My heart thrummed in my chest, refusing to be subdued. I could lean forward, ever-so-slightly, and give in to Gavin's taunts.

But where would that get us?

I shut my eyes.

Gavin sighed. "I stand corrected."

I sat there, in my self-imposed darkness as he left me alone in the room. When the door shut, I fell back, feeling the heaviness of my thoughts as I dropped onto the couch.

If I wasn't careful, I would sink into the velvet cushions and disappear forever–undisturbed, complacent, heartbroken.

Moments passed, or perhaps one long stretch of time, before the door creaked open.

"Oh my god, are you okay?" A familiar voice startled me out of my internal pity party.

I glanced at Fiona standing by my feet. "Yeah," I said, "Never better."

She put her hands on her hips. "It's Gavin, isn't it?" I saw him leave in a hurry. Did you fight?" Her eyes traveled to my bare feet then she gasped, "Did you fuck?"

I laughed, "No."

"Uh-huh," she narrowed her eyes, "Okay, well, want to talk about it?"

"Not particularly."

Fiona nodded then shooed me over so she could lay beside me on the fainting couch.

I turned, making uncomfortable eye contact with her. "What are you doing?"

She stared down at me while propped on her her elbow. "Well, you don't want to talk so I'm going with Plan B."

Something told me it wasn't her first time doing that.

"Creeping me out?"

"Don't act like you don't like it," she nudged me, siphoning out a smile.

"If I talk about it would you stop being weird?"

"I'll consider it."

I sighed, "We're fighting."

"No shit."

Great, sarcasm. Just what I need.

"It's serious, Fiona. I don't think we're going to...be together anymore."

Fiona raised her eyebrow. "What is this giant fight about then?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, then told her everything. My stomach churned as I mentioned the photos, the email, and the baby.

She sucked in a breath. "In one week?"

I nodded.

"Are you okay?"

I shrugged, "I've been acting kind of stupid."

"Wade?" she asked with a smile creeping onto her lips.

I shut my eyes and groaned. "Basically."

She stifled a laugh.

"It's not funny," I rolled my eyes.

"Sorry," she giggled, "it's just that Gavin doesn't do well with jealousy."

Does anyone?

"I noticed."

Fiona watched my expression fade into misery once again then sighed, "He's never been very good at wanting what other people have."

I frowned. "What does that mean?"

"I don't want to call it an orphan thing but the first few years after my aunt brought him home were rocky, to say the least."

Gavin hadn't told me much about his childhood beyond the adoption. "How old was he?"