Chapter Twenty Two

I wandered aimlessly through my room while Gavin set up his easel. I still didn't understand why we had to move everything to my room, but Gavvy claimed it had the best lighting.

Considering I got the "room with the window". As if I chose that.

My heart climbed into my throat and tormented me with each passing second. Meanwhile, Gavin ignored my incessant pacing.

"You okay?" Or not.

"Yeah." I cleared my throat. "Just never been drawn before."

"Painted," he cleaned his brush. "But yeah, it can be unnerving."

"You've been painted?" I furrowed my eyebrows at the confession.

Gavin blushed. "Once or twice. I needed the money."

I nodded, a smile sneaking onto my face. "Whore."

"You would know." He winked, and fire shot up my spine.

Then, I realized the time. "Shit. I have to get to work."

"What? Already?"

"Yeah," I hurried to my closet. "Somebody took forty-five minutes to set up."

"You can't rush art, Megs. Rule number one."

"Right," I said, before shutting the door between us.

When I came out, fully changed, I saw him near the farthest side of my bed.

"What are you doing?"

His eyes were as wide as saucers. "Nothing. Why?"

"You look like you've seen a ghost." Or another unwelcomed ex.

He shrugged. "No ghosts here, promise."

I raised an eyebrow but had no time to investigate further. "I'll be back after my shift."

****

I stood behind the front counter, watching the customers meander through the aisles endlessly. Our new shipment brought in a new flock of faithful buyers.

Then, when I was certain they'd be perusing for a while, I tagged Jade in so I could run to the back.

I hurried across the sales floor and went straight to my bookbag, waiting in the break room. After two hours, I caved and decided to text Mr. Airos to ease my boredom.

But by the time I fished my phone out of the front pocket and returned to the front, I froze.

Fuck.

Gavin waited by the counter, his hands buried in his black jean pockets and making small talk with Jade.

How is he here?

I stepped back, horrified, but it was too late. Jade had already spotted me and waved me over.

Gavin shot me a shy smile. Like he didn't do this on purpose.

I narrowed my eyes.

"Meg, you have a visitor," Jade stated with a snicker.

"I see that." I forced a fake smile. "How can I help you, sir? I'm afraid we're out of strap-ons today, but if you come back next year, we might both be in luck."

Jade coughed up her soda and tried to get a hold of herself while I glared at the man in front of me.

Gavin bit his lip, mostly in shame, and tilted his head. "Actually, I'm looking for the gags. My roommate just goes on and on and on an-"