Chapter Nineteen

Film class sucked my soul dry and left me a husk of a woman. Without Gavin's consistent sarcastic quips in my direction, I was bored.

Ever since our fight, we hadn't been talking. There were no jokes. No late-night gym runs. Nothing.

Like what was between us. A big, fat nothing.

That was what I kept telling my mom at least.

When Professor Dames dismissed us, I was ready to drown myself in the leftover developer. Instead, I grabbed my bag and hightailed it out of the danger zone.

I made it outside and halfway down the sidewalk when I heard a familiar voice call my name; a pang in my chest made me realize who I wanted it to be.

I turned, disappointed, and faced my ex-boyfriend.

Hunter wore a plaid sweater vest and beige slacks. He must have just given his presentation on the psychological effects caused by abandonment.

Irony at its finest.

"How are you, Four Eyes?"

I frowned at my high school nickname; suddenly aware of my contacts.

"How's Avery?"

"Good." He gave me a pained smile and then stuffed his hands into his pockets.

Before I could say something unsavory, something building inside of me for months, Gavin stepped out of the building.

Don't look this way.

Don't look this way.

Don't look this way.

Fuck.

He spotted us. As he surveyed the scene in front of him, I pulled my jacket closed. Hunter appeared not to feel any more at ease than I did.

"Hey, Megs. Who's this?" His gaze only broke long enough to make sure he had my attention.

"This is my ex, Hunter."

Hunter gave him a small, pitiful wave. That was all the excuse Gavin needed to snake his tattooed arm around my waist. My stomach leaped into my throat at the same time I considered pushing him off of me.

But oh, he was so warm.

I leaned closer, not caring that Hunter's eyes were saucers.

"Oh," Gavin purred. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Hunter. Did you watch the new Jeopardy episode last night?"

My jaw went slack and so did Hunter's. I had promised not to tell. Guess I'm a traitor too.

"Right," Hunter spat. "I'll see you."

Gavin grinned. "Bye." His arm tightened even after my ex had left us standing alone in the courtyard.

"You didn't need to do that."

He avoided my accusatory statement with silence.

"Seriously, I could have handled it."

Gavin grabbed the front of my favorite jacket in his fist and dragged me into him. His desperate kiss broke the tension between us. I melted against my better judgment. We weren't talking, but did I mind?

Yes.

I placed my hands on his chest and lightly pushed. "We're in front of the building."

He groaned at the reality check. "And?"

"Your job. My degree. Ring any bells?"

Gavin sighed, bothered by my rationality, and lifted me into his arms. Then, started carrying me off into the sunset. Not this again.