chapter 21

"Dolores..?"

Moments after the incredible chunk of magical candle history was shared with you and the others, the Madrigals collected themselves and carried on with their chores. You however, were not a Madrigal. Not to mention your only guardian might never wake up.

Casita's tiles bounced up and down slowly, as if saying to take it easy. It slid you a cup of hot tea. "Thanks for your concern, Casita." You say, placing your head on the table in the kitchen. You wished that Casita could somehow swallow you whole.

At least that way you wouldn't have to deal with all the insanity that was going on. "You're here." You look up from your moping to see a familiar face. Dolores, was it? "Camilo talks about you often." She took a seat next to you. "Well he does call himself my greatest friend." You gave a tired giggle. You found him to be your greatest dork instead.

"If it's any hope, I can hear your mother breathe. She's alive." You smiled. "Well, thanks." She smiled back. For a moment, things were peaceful. Just you and Dolores in the kitchen in peace.

Dolores' face contorted into an expression of anguish. "Dolores??" You got up. Her hands were covering her ears, as if there was a shrill and searing noise that was tearing them apart. "Dolores, please hold on I'll go get the family!" Dolores let out a cry of pain. "It's so loud!!" She dropped onto the floor on her knees, hands still over her ears.

You, in a moment of panic, grabbed a cushion from the couch outside and helped Dolores cover her ears. "Hold on!" You say. Now, where on earth were the Madrigals?! You rushed out to the porch, seeing Julieta and Pepa out on a stroll. "Señora Julieta! Señora Pepa!" You waved your arms frantically. "Something's happened to Dolores!"

Pepa's face shifted. A cloud descended over her head. The two rushed over. You ran back to attend to Dolores. "Mama! It's so loud!" She cried out. Pepa hurried over to embrace her hurting child. "I know, mi amor, please hold on!" Her voice was trembling. Julieta was quick to pass her something to eat. Dolores hurriedly gulped it down, and—

"Dolores..? Are you alright?" You worriedly reached out to her. Dolores, still in her now slightly unstable mother's embrace, seemed to be in a daze. "I can't," She shakily reached for her ears once more. "I can't hear a thing."

You helped her onto a chair. Pepa took a seat next to her. "What do you mean, amor?" She held her hand. "Can you hear me?" Dolores shook her head. Tears fell from her eyes. "I can't hear you, Mama. Your voice is so far away," Pepa clasped her hand tighter. "Amor?"

Julieta had to take Pepa aside to console and stabilize her. Meanwhile, you were with Dolores. Since she could no longer hear, you pulled out a napkin and a pen. "Dolores, this could be due to the wild magic Abuela was talking about." Dolores read it. "It could be." She replied. 

"Dolores!" Camilo and Felix dashed into the kitchen. Brother and father both ran to her side. You decided it was time for you to be elsewhere. Wherever that magical spark went, you'll find it. Then all this will be over.

At least that's what you hope will happen.