chapter 24

"Your Home"

A while after the vision was shared with the rest of the family, you sat next to your mother reading a book Mirabel lent you. "To keep your mind off of things," is what she said.

The story was of a powerful sorceress whose heart was eaten by her first love. Not something you thought Mirabel would like but surprisingly here it was. It unlocked a new facet of the enigma you just realized Mirabel was.

Not only Mirabel but, everyone. You barely knew any of them yet they were sheltering you as if you were their own. You had to make it up to them. Shutting the book, you got up and began making your way around the house.

"Casita, do you mind showing me where Mirabel's room is?" You ask kindly. Casita clacked their tiles and obliged, using the things it was made of to point you to your location.

Soon you came face to face with a familiar green door. You knocked on it. Nobody answered. No one must be inside. You announced your presence anyway before turning the doorknob to find an empty room.

You searched around the room and found the pajamas you used from before folded on the guest bed neatly. You should return back to your home. Your mother may be asleep now, but that won't help do the laundry. You had your own things to do!

You grabbed the pajamas and thanked Casita for all its help before leaving. You were determined to no longer be a hindrance. Everyone was working hard to help. You had to start pulling your weight. "Y/N?" You turned to see Julieta. "Where are you going?" She reached a hand out to you.

"I have my own chores to do, Señora. I want to help as much as you do, but I can't leave my own home unattended!" She nodded. "I agree. Should I come over and help?" You insisted on letting you do it, but eventually, kindhearted Julieta ended up following you back.

"A young woman alone in the streets can be a little dangerous, especially since you live near the forest." She said. You agreed with that, but still, you weren't helpless.. No matter! You set down your pajamas in a basket. First was laundry.

Wait, no.

Your gaze wandered towards the broken plate and now cold food scattered all over the kitchen floor. Right. That incident. "I'll clean this." Julieta picked up a broom and began sweeping. You, in quiet gladness, cleaned up with her.

Every Madrigal seemed to have kindness run through their blood, you wondered what they went through to have such qualities develop.

Once done,  Julieta and you spent a good chunk of time cleaning your clothing and hanging it up in your room next to your windows to dry. "Finally." You joked. She chuckled. "Anything else?" She asked. You pondered for a bit.

"Nope."