Part 30: Finale

Not edited. Read the end note!
————————————————————————

May 29th, 2019

"Jamal, tomorrow you'll be arranged to leave the prison. We have to give you a breakdown of how things will work. I need your undivided attention," the warden spoke. Jamal sat in front of the white man, trying his hardest not to scream out.

"At 8 AM during role call, you'll be pulled out. You'll be taken to the main center, where you will strip out your prison clothes and be given the clothes you came in with. We will give you your belongings as well, including your phone, keys, wallet, cannabis, a lighter, and a pack of gum," the warden read. Jamal completely forgot what he came into the prison with. "You will have the choice for somebody to accompany you to the gate if you choose"

"Your assigned parole officer, Mrs. Moni, will contact you using your number on file. We need an address for you as well before you're released. Originally you would be required to stay at a halfway house, but the judge did not include that in your release conditions. Do you have an address?" The warden asked.

Jamal nodded "257 west long st" he mumbled. Jamal honestly did not know his address; he just said a random address.

"Can I get my parole officer's information? Their number and office?" Jamal asked. The warden nodded and wrote down the information needed.

"Your parole in three months, I'm sure you already know this. We won't go into detail because your officer will let you know. If you have any questions for me, this is your time to ask." The warden smiled. It was bittersweet for him as well, he's known Jamal for years, and the boy was charming and respectful. He's glad that he has his freedom now.

"Can I ask about Hector?" Jamal asked. The warden gave him a pitying look.

"I won't be able to tell you much, Jamal; you know this."

"Please?" Jamal begged. His voice cracked slightly.

"Fine."

"Do you know when he gets parole?" Jamal asked, playing with his fingers.

"Yes," the warden smiled.

"When?" Jamal asked.

"January 2020 would be the month of the hearing. I can't tell you the date, but if his hearing goes well, he leaves the same month or the following."

Jamal couldn't help the smile crawling on his face. Hector might be released in 8 months? 8 months. He might be there before Jamal gives birth. This is if he's pregnant because Jamal doesn't know yet. He hasn't had any symptoms. The dark skin man bit his lips.

"Hector knows this?" Jamal asked.

"Not to my knowledge. He might know the date from when he first got sentenced, but he hasn't asked about his parole in years, so he might not have up-to-date information." The warden explained. Jamal was ecstatic. This was it. This was all he needed to hear.

"Thank you!" The warden nodded with a smile on his face. "Can I ask for one more favor? This will be the last two things I promise," Jamal begged.

"It better be the last. You're leaving," the warden laughed.

"My first one is can you help Hector get parole? And Can Hector not get a cellmate? Please," Jamal sounded so desperate.

"I can do Hector not having a cellmate, that's fine but helping him get parole? I don't know."

"Please! I'm pregnant," Jamal blurted.

"Pregnant? Do you think I'm stupid?" The warden asked.

" I promise you I'm telling the truth; why would I lie about that?" Jamal lied. Well, he could be telling the truth.