22. Double you, Tea, F

Immediate nervousness washed over the three children, what could they tell this vicious woman. They had learned the story of the Encanto from Mirabel, with all the small details. They found Abuela a -excuse the language- fucking bitch. Giulia and Luca were only too polite to say that out loud. 

Alberto was not. He said it. Very loudly. Mirabel wasn't exactly amused by his statement, but she could understand where he was coming from. Alma wasn't exactly the nicest person out there, maybe a little toxic and insensitive. Despite all that Mirabel would never go and call a part of her beloved family 'a fucking bitch.' 

"I'm waiting for your answer." The old lady said, the whole table noticed that she was getting impatient. Nobody wanted to deal with an impatient abuela. Giulia and Alberto simultaneously looked at Luca, practically forcing him to speak up. Luca had the best behavior out of the three after all. 

"You see, we had heard wonderful stories about your Encanto." Luca started to please the woman and tell her lie after lie. "We desperately wanted to see the Magical Madrigals with our own eyes. Our main interest was in sir Bruno, who has an interesting and mysterious story linked to his name." Abuela nodded in agreement, she was content with this version of the story. "We have traveled a long and harsh way to get here. The only thing we wish for is exploring this wonderful place. Therefore we hope you will let us stay, to show us the wonders of your hometown." 

Luca completely bluffed his way to the interrogation. On the other side of the table Mirabel was keeping strict eyecontact with her cousin, she knew that Dolores could sometime talk too much. If it got out to abuela why they were actually here, it wouldn't end well. Especially since they now lied about their purpose. They needed to know Alberto's relation to Bruno's genes first, then they would find a way to tell the head of the family.

Mirabel had stayed up all night thinking about an easy way to do so. To her beliefs she found one, one that could be done today even. But they would have to sneak through abuela's belongings to gather the stuff they would need. Plus they would need to get Alma out of the house, but that should be easy. They could use Dolores as bait and let them discuss the future wedding or something.

As soon as they left the dinner table Mirabel called the three friends, Bruno and Julieta by her side. She quickly started explaining her plan.

"Remember Camilo's gift ceremony?" She started, this question was directed to her family. "Yes!" Julieta nodded with a smile, "he was so scared that he hid under the bed for like, 3 days. Even you couldn't get him to open a door." She grinned at the thought. The entire population of the village had to wait three days on the small boy.

Camilo was very different back then, a shy and closed in boy. He was shaking at the thought of walking in front of a crowd. Terrified by the thought that if he had a gift he would need to go to the village and socialize everyday. It lead to the refusal of getting a gift. It took three days of soft, kind and persuasive words to finally let him accept his faith. The moment he touched the doorknob, he felt his confidence grow. This gift matched him perfectly, hiding behind a mask. He now doesn't do hiding anymore, he grew up to be a fine young man on his own, figuring how to put his gift to use. He was truly loved by all.

"Then you must also know, that he did not get his gift on exactly his fifth birthday. And also not right on time." Mirabel continued, Bruno and Julieta could see what she was trying to say. The Italians had no clue at all, they had never seen such ceremony before. They just assumed that everyone was born with a gift.

"The point is, if we let Alberto touch an empty doorknob and he gets a gift. We will know for sure he is a Madrigal. If not, we shall do a simple paternity test and bribe the doctor to tell no one." Even though it still wasn't entirely clear to them what she expected of Alberto, they agreed to proceed anyway.

"Alright, uhh we haven't got much time. Y'know, before Abuela gets back and stuff." Bruno talked to no one in particular. "It might be better to do it later. Today or tomorrow." Julieta shook her head at Bruno's insecurity and nervousness. She softly laid her hand on the shoulder of her brother, in an attempt to calm him down. "It will be fine Bruno." Her soft words didn't change the fact that Abuela was already on her way back home. 

"What is going on here?" She stormed into the room, her rationality long forgotten. "Julieta, dear please, you should be in town helping anyone who injured themselves. Go now." She ordered her daughter, her smile was nowhere to be seen. "Bruno, go... Whatever you do all day. I'm not finished with these three yet." Her grin appeared, it didn't connect with her eyes. This was going to be a long long long morning.