CHAPTER IV: MAKING AMENDS

"I'm very disappointed in you, young lady. Attacking another student like that? That's not like you." The principal said in a disappointed tone, sitting in his desk chair with Millie sitting on the other side of the desk.

"Look, he was bothering me first. Blame me all you want. He was messing with me while I was dealing with a lot of stuff. It was just too soon for him to be making fun of me like that. I'm sorry." Millie explained.

The principal sat there, taking it all in. He sighed. "Alright. I'm going to let you off easy this time since I believe you, but please try and restrain yourself next time." Millie nodded. "Of course. Thank you."

"Have a nice day." The principal said. Millie nodded and walked out of the room. She went back to class and continued her day like nothing happened.

At lunch, she looked around for Dylan again. Thankfully, they had the same lunch, so that at least made it easier for her to find him. It didn't, however, make it easier for her to avoid the people she despised.

The popular girls still whispered and snickered as she walked past them. The group of jockeys was sitting at one of the tables. She locked eyes with the jockey she hit. He didn't say anything. His right cheek was still red from this morning's incident. That made her smile faintly. That should teach him not to mess with someone having a bad day.

At long last, there he was, in all his red-haired glory, there was Dylan. She slowed her pace. She felt incredibly nervous. There would be no announcement to call her away this time. She needed to do this now. She might not get another chance.

Dylan looked at her and maintained a neutral expression. "Can... can I sit here?" Millie asked, awkwardly.

"Sorry. My imaginary friend is sitting there." Dylan said with a smirk. Millie immediately got the joke. It was the same sarcastic response she gave him when they first met. She was surprised to know that he remembered that moment.

Regardless of the importance of that sentence, she took that as a sign that she was somewhat welcome.

Millie sat down, twiddling her thumbs, thinking of how to tell him that she was sorry. Dylan looked concerned. "Uh, Millie? Is-"

"I'm sorry Dylan!" Millie blurted out. Dylan's eyes widened slightly but still kept a calm expression.

"I... I-I thought about what you said... and you were right. I am a hypocrite, a big hypocrite. I just..." Millie began to tear up.

"I don't have any friends, Dylan. I was so excited when someone finally talked to me. Let alone, sat at the same table as me. And you're a boy, and I just... I got carried away. I didn't think that you just wanted to be friends. When I saw you with Brooke... I just got so mad. The truth is... I get teased by blonde, basic girls every day. I get teased by everyone. Even my best friend that I've known since kindergarten left me to go join the popular girls. Brooke... Brooke never made fun of me. She just sat there and minded her own business, and I judged her when I didn't even know her just because she was with you." Millie said. Dylan was stunned. He sat there and listened intently.

"I'm sick of being alone. I don't want to get in the way of the love that you and Brooke clearly have for each other... but I would really like it if we could just... start over." Millie continued.

After a minute, Dylan spoke.
"I... I don't know what to say. You really don't have any friends? Not even online or outside of school?" He asked. Millie shook her head.

"I... I'm sorry, Millie. I was upset with you because you were judging people without any evidence to say they were what you thought they were. But if you had told me what was going on in your life, I... I could've gone easier on you. I could've helped you." Dylan said with regret. Millie put her hand on his.