CHAPTER XXIII: THE DISTRIBUTION CENTER

This was probably the third church that Millie and Brooke visited. Hopefully, Arthur Blythe was in there. After all, third time's the charm.

"So, you think he's in there?" Brooke asked. "He'd better be." Millie said. As they walked to the church, Brooke spoke.

"Hey... do you really want to do this?" Brooke asked. Millie turned to her, confused. "Do what?"

"You know, shooting animatronics, freeing souls, that whole deal." Brooke clarified. "Yes. Why? Do you not want to? You're welcome to leave at any time, you know. I won't stop you." Millie said.

"I know. It's just... we can leave... but you won't. You're not gonna stop until it's over because of what happened to you." Brooke said. Millie sighed.

"I'm not just doing this for me, I'm doing it for the kids who weren't able to escape from that dark, miserable death trap inside of that bear."

Brooke didn't really consider until now how much Millie had suffered because of the incident on Christmas. The poor girl must have had nightmares about it every night. "Are you... okay? I know you're fine, but... do you want to talk about something? You can tell me." Brooke said, concerned. "I'm fine, Brooke." Millie said.

"That's what a not fine person would say." Brooke countered.

Millie sighed. "Can we just forget about it, please? We have to focus." Millie said, walking away. Brooke could tell that Millie was in denial about it.

"Look, I know it must've been a lot to go through. I mean, heck, you almost died. I just want to know you're okay." Brooke said in the most comforting voice she could.

"You don't know anything. I'm fine, Brooke. Really, I am. Can we just focus?" Millie asked, desperation evident in her tone. Brooke nodded, realizing that she shouldn't push Millie anymore. She'll talk about it when she's ready. Still, she probably should say something to help her feel better.

"You know, when Dylan first brought you to my house to meet everybody and you had to leave the room, he told us what was happening in your life. We all felt so bad that you didn't have many friends before us. He wanted all of us to make sure you were comfortable, that you were happy being around us. So far, I guess you are happy. He's definitely noticed a change in your mood. You're right, I don't know what it's like to almost die, but I do know that I can help, we can help if you let us." Brooke said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

Millie looked down at the ground. Brooke wasn't lying when she said that Millie's mood changed. She definitely felt different around them and she also felt accepted. Besides her grandpa, that was the first time anyone had really cared about her in such a way. She used to be so cynical and uncaring towards anyone else. Now, she felt like she cared about everyone. She was doing this so that she could make sure that Funtime Freddy suffered for what he did to her. Even she had to admit that her intentions were somewhat selfish, but at the same time, it was necessary so that others could be safe from him. Besides, if no one else was putting a stop to this, it was gonna be her. Millie wiped her eyes before she kept walking towards the church, not responding to Brooke.

As they walked past the pews, they saw the priest walk into his office. They walked after him and knocked on his door.

"Come in." They heard a voice say. Millie took the lead and walked inside. They saw the priest arranging a few books on the bookshelf behind his desk. He turned and looked slightly surprised to see two teenage girls standing in his office.

"Good afternoon! How can I help you both today?" The priest greeted with a friendly smile.

"Are you Arthur Blythe?" Millie asked. "I am. Is there something you need help with?" Arthur asked, carrying a book over to the shelf.