CHAPTER X: THE STITCHWRAITH

Millie's day proceeded as normal. After school, she talked to Dylan and his friends. "I'm telling you, Stranger Things is the best Netflix show!" Oswald said. "No! You're fucking stupid! Cobra Kai is the best!" Isaac said. "You're both wrong! Obviously, the best show is-"

"Alright, that's enough!" Brooke spoke up with a giggle, interrupting Oscar. "We need to come up with a plan for the weekend. The weather is supposed to be great." She continued.

"I mean, we could go to the snack space." Mandy suggested. "We could try the mall and just go from there." Raj said.

"Why not both?" Isaac suggested. "You think they're gonna have any sales on anything?" Oswald asked. "No. I checked. They're not doing anything special." Mandy said.

"So... this Saturday, right?" Dylan asked. "Yep." Brooke responded. "I'm going to have to ask my grandpa first." Millie said.

"I'm sure he'll let you go." Raj said. "Yeah. And if not, we're just gonna have to break you out." Brooke said with a giggle.

Millie hoped it was a joke, but internally knew it was. "Well, speaking of my grandpa, I should probably be heading back now. It's getting late." Millie said.

"Alright! We'll see you tomorrow!" Oscar said. "Yeah, maybe I can show you a book I've been reading during lunch tomorrow. I think you'll love it." Dylan said. "Sounds good. See ya!" Millie said before walking away.

***

As the sun continued going down, Millie was beginning to regret not asking Dylan or one of the others to take her home. She didn't like being alone at night. The incident with Funtime Freddy certainly didn't help with that. The air was starting to get colder and she started shivering. Millie tucked her arms into the pockets of her dark purple hoodie. She felt more nervous the more time it took for her to reach her destination.

Out of nowhere, a chill ran down her spine. It felt as though something was close. She didn't know if it was watching her, just that it was close. She looked around. There was nothing. She could hear a noise nearby. It almost sounded like... dragging? Something was being dragged along the ground. It sounded close.

Just up ahead, Millie could see a figure. They were too far away to tell who they were, but Millie got an odd feeling from them. It was a familiar feeling. She saw that they were moving away from her. As she walked closer, they didn't seem to notice her. She could see now that they were dragging a large trash bag along the ground. The feeling was beginning to feel more familiar now. Did she know this person from somewhere? She saw that they were wearing a black cloak. They had a lurching walk. Millie remembered now. She was following the Stitchwraith.

Millie was trembling with fear. It didn't seem to notice her. It just kept walking. Millie had to know what this thing was up to. She needed to know the truth. Just as she decided to follow it, the Stitchwraith snapped its head around to face Millie. She gasped in surprise, but stood her ground. She didn't know why, but she felt as though she had no reason to be afraid.

It didn't move or do anything. It just stared, towering over her. The silence was beginning to get uncomfortable. Or was it silent? Millie could faintly hear talking. It sounded like two voices arguing with each other. Millie couldn't make out the words. It seemed that the argument was over when the Stitchwraith suddenly jerked and turned away.

"Wait!" Millie shouted, trying to catch up to the Stitchwraith. She didn't care how stupid it was. She wanted answers. She quickly caught up to it and tried to catch its attention again.

"Hey! Stitchwraith! I need to talk to you!" Millie shouted. The Stitchwraith seemed to sigh in annoyance and turned to face her again.

"Please, leave us alone." It said, trying to shoo Millie away. It can talk? Millie thought. "I can't do that. I need to know something." She said, standing her ground and trying to suppress the intense fear she was feeling. It paused for a moment.

"You... you can hear me?" It asked. Millie was confused. What could it mean by that? "Umm, I guess I can, yeah. Am I not supposed to hear you talk?" She said.

"No... you're not. No one ever hears either of us talk. You're the first person to understand us." It said with evident surprise. Now that Millie could properly hear its voice, it sounded like a kid's voice, a young boy at that. He sounded at least nine or maybe ten.

"How can you hear me?" He asked. "I don't know! I just assumed that you could talk!" Millie said, defensively. "Who are you?" He asked.

"I'm... Millie." She answered hesitantly. "Millie... I'm Jake. My friend, Andrew, is also with me, but he doesn't talk much." The Stitchwraith said.

Jake... what a specific name for a robot. Apparently, it also had a "friend" named Andrew. She assumed it was a split personality type deal until a secondary voice spoke up.

"Shut up! We're not friends!" This voice was also a boy, but it sounded more angry. If this thing did have a split personality, then it was certainly good at it. Millie then thought back to the rumors. The stories about the children possessing the animatronics at Freddy Fazbear's pizza after they die. Was this thing possessed? Millie supposed it made sense after what she witnessed so far. Still... a ghost? This entire experience had been so unreal. Not once in a million years did Millie think she'd have to deal with something like this. She tried hiding it, but she suspected that even this machine, ghost, whatever it was, knew she was afraid. It's true what they say about humans being afraid of the unknown. She felt like she was close to pissing herself.

"So... can I ask what it is you're doing?" Millie asked after clearing her throat. "Jake" remained silent for a while. She could faintly hear voices arguing back in forth. It seemed as though they had finally reached a conclusion when Jake spoke up again.

"Do you promise that we can trust you and you won't call the police on us?" Millie was surprised by the request, but desperate for answers, she didn't have much of a choice. She decided to trust this strange entity for the time being.

"I... I promise." She responded. "Great! Just follow us!" Jake said enthusiastically.

He began walking away. Millie sighed and caught up to him. What did I get myself into?

END OF CHAPTER X