CHAPTER VIII: BROKEN FAMILIAL BONDS

Larson spent another hour at the nearby bar, drinking his sorrows away. He sat there when he couldn't drink anymore. His vision was blurry and unfocused. Thinking straight just wasn't possible for him at this point. He staggered out of his seat at the bar and tripped.

He got back up and went out the door. He was on his way back to the car when he noticed someone familiar. It was Tabitha from the police department's laboratory. Larson forgot that she usually came here on her nights off.

"Detective Larson? Is that you?" She asked. "Hey, Tabitha! How... h-how are you tonight?" Larson slurred.

"You drunk?" Tabitha asked. She didn't sound surprised. "Oh yeah, you know, I uh... I..." Larson said while beginning to stumble backwards.

Tabitha caught his hand and pulled him back on his feet. "You know, my house is nearby. You can spend the night there." Tabitha said while guiding him to her car. "Are we going to your place?" Larson asked. "Yes we are." Tabitha answered.

After a long night of vomiting into a bucket and sleeping, Larson woke up with a hangover. He looked around and was confused by not being in his own house. After a minute of thinking, he remembered that Tabitha took him to her house. He tried to get up from the couch he was on, but Tabitha sat him back down.

"I don't think you should be leaving just yet. You still have a hangover." Tabitha said.

"I need to get back to the station." Larson said. "The station can wait. You're staying here until you get better." Tabitha said.

"I am better." Larson argued. "No you're not." Tabitha said, crossing her arms.

Larson groaned but laid back down. "So... you wanna tell me what you were doing at that bar?" Tabitha asked. "No." Larson responded bluntly.

Tabitha shook her head. "You're really gonna keep this up? You know, you can't keep stewing in your guilt forever. Your family isn't gone you know." Tabitha said.

"They're as good as gone to me. I don't feel like talking about this." Larson said. Tabitha sighed.

"Fine. You want to keep to yourself? That's fine. Just know that I tried to help you." Tabitha said as she went back to her kitchen. "You want to leave? go ahead. I won't stop you."

As much as it hurt Larson, he went back to the station to continue working. The station was busy today. He saw two people getting arrested while still trying to fight each other. Then, he saw Roberts walk in and sit next to Larson.

"Powell really needs to clean his desk, I swear." He complained in disgust. Detective Powell was well known for two things, which was eating sandwiches, and having a desk that smelled like the inside of a garbage truck.

"So, did you find anything?" Larson asked. "No. The body was in the same state as the others. Nothing new." Roberts said.

Larson sighed. "Why can't we solve this case any faster?" He asked irritated.

"Hey, these kinds of cases take time. We'll find something soon enough. I'm sure." Roberts said confidently.

"People are dying because of this thing. Right now, it's just people who antagonized it. Tomorrow... who knows who it's going to target next? It could start going after bystanders! Children! We need to find it now!" Larson argued.

"Hey, get a hold of yourself! Look, I get it. I want to find the Stitchwraith just as much as you do, but you can't drive yourself crazy like this. Here's some advice, the sooner you have a clear mind, the sooner you'll get the job done." Roberts said.

Larson sat there and sighed. He wanted so badly to have a clear mind, but he couldn't. He should tell Roberts about what's been going on, but that wasn't his business. He then thought about what happened with the Stitchwraith. Should he tell him about that? No. He would only ask more questions and get in the way. For now, he decided to wordlessly retire to his office.

Larson continued searching for clues. He just didn't get it. Why didn't it kill him? Why spare him and kill anyone else who threatened it? Did it know he was a cop? Did it think he just wasn't worth its time? Its head twitched. Why did its head twitch? The way it acted made it seem more like a robot than an actual human. Wait... a robot.

Larson thought more about the possibility. He looked back at the pictures of the Stitchwraith. He looked very closely at its hands. The hands looked like they were made of metal. Larson thought back to when he saw it firsthand. Inside of its coat was a glowing red light. When he saw its body, it looked incredibly slender, like it didn't have any meat on its bones. It also moved in a very robotic way. It would make sense if it was a robot. Actually, no it wouldn't. Robots can't move around on their own, unless... unless they were from Fazbear entertainment. Maybe it was a robotic endoskeleton from one of their animatronics.

But that just brought up even more questions. What was it doing in the streets of Hurricane and not in a pizzeria somewhere? He suddenly heard some commotion outside his office. He walked out of his office out of curiosity and saw some officers taking what looked like a homeless man back outside.

"No! I'm telling you the truth! I saw it! I saw it with my own eyes!" The man yelled.

"Sure, sure! We believe you, pal!" One of the officers said. "I'm telling you! I saw the Stitchwraith!" The man continued. Larson's eyes lit up when he heard the man say "Stitchwraith."

Larson ran over to the officers.
"Stop! Let him go! I said let him go!" Larson shouted.

Upon hearing Larson, they immediately let the homeless man go. "Did you see the Stitchwraith?!" Larson asked impatiently.

"Yes! Yes, I did! I saw it at the train tracks in the woods! I can take you there!" The man said. "Show me!" Larson said. With that, they both went out to Larson's car and he allowed the homeless man to guide him to where he saw the Stitchwraith.

END OF CHAPTER VIII