Chapter 3

Ruby's  pov

March 5th, 2020

     It's been 9 months since I've seen max. We still kept in contact, but we didn't talk as much as we did the first couple of months. He had gotten a girlfriend ( that he was keeping a secret from his family until a while ago ) and she didn't like that we were texting that much, which is understandable, I wouldn't want my boyfriend constantly texting and calling some other girl. But even after they broke up we still didn't talk as much.

     Anyways my grandma has gotten
a lot better and my aunt and uncle have offered to take care of her now so we're finally going back to New York!
I got the news last night and we'll be leaving in 4 days.

* time skip *

Me and my family are currently at the airport waiting for boarding to start. "Hey mama where did you put my phone I completely forgot to text max to let him know I'll be back!" I say looking through all the bags "It's in the front pocket of your bag" she says not looking away from her own phone. I take out my phone and text max

Ruby: HEY MAX I COMPLETELY FORGOT TO TELL YOU. BUT I'M COMING BACK TO NEW YORK.

Ruby: My flight is boarding in like 10 minutes so I should land in New York in around 3 hours, so it'll be like 12 am when I get there but I'll see you tomorrow first thing in the morning!

Delivered 8:10 PM

      "Flight 228 to JFK international airport now boarding. Calling zones 1-4."

     "Come on ruby let's go." My dad pulls me up from my seat as my brother and older sister grab their bags.

* time skip *

     After we landed last night I checked my phone to see if max responded to my message but he still hasn't seen it. I woke up early this morning so I could go get max from the substation before heading to school. I've changed a lot since the last time we met. I have pink hair now and I don't dress like 12 year old anymore. Ew, I can't believe people let me walk around in the outfits I use to wear.

I rush down the stairs grabbing my backpack rushing towards the door. "Wait ruby you have to eat something before you go!" My older sister says. "I'll JUST GET FOOD FROM THE SUBSTATION!" I say already out the door.

   I reach the substation with a big smile on my face. I've missed everyone so much that I think I might start crying. I really hope I don't because then my eyeliner will be all over my face.

  I walk into the restaurant. It's empty and nobodys here. As I'm about to walk to the staircase I hear the lair door open. " Alex apologize to your brother for turning him into a toad." 

"Ugh! Fine. I'm sorry Justin that I turned you into a toad. But in my opinion, you look much better that way." She says laughing and giving Max a high five.

  "MAXI!" I say running towards him and then hugging the life out of the poor boy. He just stood still. I pull away from the hug and he looks at me and his eyes widen.

 "RUBY!" he screams pulling me into another hug. "WHEN DID YOU GET BACK!" he yells letting go of me but keeping his hands on my shoulders. Wow, he's gotten a lot taller...

  "Oh I got back last night I texted you but you didn't respond." Then I was pulled into another hug this time by Alex. "That's because this nimrod tried to see if his phone would float in his soup" she rolls her eyes. "Yeah, that sounds like something he would do," I say laughing  ( if you get the reference I love you )

"Hey ruby," says Justin giving me a quick hug. "Hi Justin how are you?" "I'm good and we're glad you're back." I smiled. Wow, now that I'm over my crush I don't feel awkward talking to him. I feel Mr. Russo ruffle my hair " ahh we missed having you around kid. Max more than anyone." 

I turn and smile at him. " so what happened to you, why are you goth?." Max chuckles looking me up and down. " I'm not goth, I just got a better style." " Well, I think that you look cool, and you have to teach me to do my makeup like that." I hear Alex say. " oh sure it's actually really easy to do."

"Okay as much as I love this reunion we should get going or we'll be late for school," says Justin

It's now after school I caught up with Harper and Mrs. Russo as well. Alex, Harper, Max, and I are currently sitting in the sub cart. "Hello Alex"  a boy with a British accent walks in sitting down beside her. "Mason!" Alex chirped giving him a quick hug. "Mason this is ruby remember i told you about her, and ruby this is my boyfriend mason."
"Oh hello, ruby, nice to meet the girl who could withstand being more than 5 minutes in Max's room." He says sticking out a hand for me to shake. "Haha, nice to meet you too," I say accepting his handshake.

We all sit and talk for a while. It was fun I really missed being around these people. Max is currently walking me home." so you really let lose dozens of monsters out lose in New York."yeah not my proudest moments. I've been feeling really guilty though. Because of me, Juliet was taken by the mummy, and now Justins heartbroken. And it's all my fault." he frowns "max. I know it may seem like it's your fault but it's really not. You only let the monsters out of that book. You didn't make them go after Justin and Juliet and you didn't make the mummy take Juliet. She chose to get taken so she could survive." I try to comfort him. He looks at me with a sad smile. "Thanks for trying to make me feel better, I've had that on my chest for a long time, talking about it definitely helped."

     "Max, I'll always be here for you. Even if we get into some sort of big fight. You can always come to me okay." "Thanks Ru." We reach my door step "Well um, I'll see you tomorrow I say." "Yeah, see you tomorrow." He says walking backwards from my door.

I enter my house with a strange feeling in my stomach but I just ignore it and go to bed.

Max's POV

I walk away from her doorstep smiling with a weird feeling in my stomach. Maybe it was the one week old hotdog I ate that I found under my bead? Whatever I'll just drink some orange soda to wash it down.

End of chapter 3 

Yay they got reunited!

Also I don't know when Max's birthday is so let's just say he already turned 15 and Ruby's birthday is April 15th.