Chapter 1: Katniss

"Joey! Hurry up! You're gonna be late for school baby and I got to get to work on time. If I'm late again, Haymitch promised to cut my pay," I call to my son. Joey stumbles down the stairs, his blonde curls bobbing as he does.

"Sorry Mom. I had to brush my teeth," my nine year old says.

"That's okay. Go get your coat and get in the car," I say and he rushes past me. I laugh as I watch him go and grab my keys and walk to the door.

We drive in silence until Joey leans forward to turn on the radio.

"Why'd you do that?" I ask him. He shrugs

"I don't know, I guess I don't like silence. Plus I used to love it when you sang to me Momma. Why don't you do it anymore?" my innocent little Joey asks. I feel a tear run down my cheek and I quickly wipe it away.

"It brings back memories of the old days and its painful to remember those days," I tell him honestly.

"Like the memories of Daddy?" he asks. I only nod, not wanting to talk about the blue eyed boy who stole my heart,"How come I've never met him? How come I've never heard his name?" He asks.

"Because you wouldn't understand. I know you like to think to know everything, but you just wouldn't understand why he left. I'll tell you when you're older," I say and the car is silent until I pull up in front of Joey's elementary school. "I'll pick you up at 3 like always. I love you sweetie," I say as I kiss his cheek.

"I love you too Mom, I'll see you after school. Bye!" he says jumping out of the car and running up to his friend, Finnick Odair Jr. They both wave to me and I wave back as I pull away from the school and on my way to the Y where I work as a Archery Instructor.

As I'm driving I here a familiar chord on an acoustic guitar and turn up the radio that Joey left playing and I here his sweet as honey voice again.

"Sometimes late at night
I lie awake and watch her sleeping
She's lost in peaceful dreams
So I turn out the light
And lay there in the dark
And the thought crosses my mind
If I never wake up in the morning
Would she ever doubt the way I feel
About her in my heart

If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way
To show her everyday
That she's my only one
And if my time on Earth were through
And she must face this world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes

'Cause I've lost loved ones in my life
Who never knew how much I loved them
Now I live with the regret
That my true feelings
For them never were revealed
So I made a promise to myself
To say each day how much she means to me
And avoid that circumstance
Where there's no second chance
To tell her how I feel

If tomorrow never comes
Will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way
To show her everyday
That she's my only one
And if my time on Earth were through
And she must face this world without me
Is the love u gave her in the past
Gonna be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes

So tell that someone that you love
Just what you're thinking of
If tomorrow never comes"

"That was the amazing Peeta Mellark with If Tomorrow Never Comes, one of his first singles that almost instantly became one of his biggest hits that help launch his career," Caesar Flickerman, the local radio DJ says. "I actually have some sad news for the fans of Mr. Mellark. He has decided to stop performing in concert. But don't you worry folks, he will be back in our very own home town after ten years to preform his last live show tonight at the fairgrounds. Tickets will be on sale for $25 and be sold at the door. Now for a song by a break through artist.." I turn off the radio and feel the tears build up.

It can't have been ten years. I haven't seen him in that long. Ten years since I last kissed his lips, last touch his soft skin. Last saw his bus drive away from me as the Autumn leaves blew around me in that abandoned fair ground.

It's been ten years since I last saw Peeta Mellark, the man who stole my heart and unknowingly is the father of my child