Chapter 7: Peeta

Here we are again. Right where everything went bad last time. I hold her close and kiss her cheek as she sleeps with her head on my chest. She'll wake up in a while and she'll go to her son. And I feel like I have to accept that. Joey's father could come back at anytime and she loves him. I can tell when she talks about him that she loves him. And it breaks my heart.

I feel her stir and she lifts her head off my chest. She smiles up at me and I smile back. She sits up against the headboard and I sit next to her.

"Just like the first time," she says.

"It doesn't have to end the same way the first time. You and Joey could come with me to Oklahoma. I'd take care of both of you for the rest of my days," I tell her, "I'd even marry you and raise Joey like he was my own."

"I can't make him leave. This is Joey's home. He has friends here. This is all he's ever known," she cries.

"I would do anything to make sure you guys are taken care off. I want you to be happy," I say.

"I should have gone when you offered. Now its to late. I have a son and we can't leave. It's impossible for us to be together," She says.

"Nothing is impossible Katniss," I say, "We never thought we'd never see each other again, yet here we are, right where we started ten years ago."

"Peeta, we both know this song has to end. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy the music," She says. " We have a few hours before you have to go. All I ask is that you let me spend your last hours in Tennessee with you here."

"I'd do anything for you Katniss. If that's what you want, I won't let you go," I say and wrap my arms around her and she lays her head my shoulder as she wraps her arms around me.

"I've waited ten years to hold you again. I'm not going to let you go easy," I whisper and she grips on to me tighter.

"You have to. For your own good, you have to let me go this time. You can't break your heart over me again," she says.

"And let you cry yourself asleep again. No. I'm not leaving you behind. You're my Mockingjay, my wildflower, my everything," I say.

"It's not like you can stay. You have a life in Oklahoma. A life that doesn't need me," she says. And she gets up dragging a sheet with her as she goes to get dressed in the bathroom. "It's not as if you can give up a mansion in Oklahoma for an apartment in Tennessee without being a fool."

She walks away and I start to ponder what she said. She's right. My manager would scream at me for the very thought of staying in a tiny apartment with a single mother and a kid that isn't mine. But I'd be happy. I'd be stupid to walk away from all my money and a mansion I have waiting for me, but money doesn't bring happiness. All the money in the world isn't worth anything without Katniss at my side. I could do it. I could stay. Now I just need to convince Katniss to let me. I'd be able to take care of Katniss and Joey and we'd be happy. We'd be who we were meant to be.

She walks back out and when she sees me staring she laughs.

"Why don't you take a picture? It'll last longer than I'll be here," she says laughing half heartedly. I slip on my boxers and walk over to her and caress her cheek.

"But it would never last as long as I want it to," I say.

"I've told you before, I can't go with you. I can't drag Joey away from his home," she says.

"Then let me stay," I say. She looks at me puzzled.

"What are you talking about?" she asks.

"I'll stay here, take care of you and Joey," I say.

"I don't know Peeta. I don't know if I can let you throw your life away for me," She says staring at me.

"You'd do it for me. If you didn't have Joey, you'd come with me. You've already proven that," I say.

"But I do have Joey," she says.

"Which is why I'm asking you, please Katniss, let me make you my queen. Let me stay here with you. All the money and the jewels and the fame are worth nothing if you're not by my side. So I'll stay with you if you want me to. What do you say Katniss?" I ask her and she stares at me in shock then she starts to speak.

"I.."