Chapter 3: Peeta

I never forgot Katniss. Sure there were other women. I tried to forget her like she asked. But my heart wouldn't let me. She still hold the half she took with her when she ran from my arms all those years ago. I wish I could see her face in real life rather than only in my dreams. I wish I could hold her in my arms.

"I don't know why you want to stop touring. The people love you. Why do you want to be one of those artists who fall off the face of the Earth?" my manager Effie asks.

"I've been touring since I was fifteen. I want to live a normal life. Maybe find someone and settle down," I tell her.

"Well that I can understand. But what I don't understand is why your holding your last show in this little no name town and not really telling the public about it," she grumbles, "There's a lot of Money to be made at Peeta Mellark's last love show, but you're acting like its some private party."

"Because this is where I left my heart. If I want to try to find it again, this is where I have to look," I say.

"It's that girl isn't it. Peeta she ran away from you. She didn't want to be with you. Why would she now? She's probably got a nice little two story and a couple kids by now. Sure if you want to thank her for ruining you but inspiring a couple real good songs for broken heart, go right ahead. But she probably won't come," She says.

"She wanted to come with me. She broke my heart because she couldn't leave her mentally disabled mother and little sister behind. I want to believe that she still loves me as much as I love her. I want to believe she can still be mine. And if she comes to this show, I'll finally get some answers," I say stepping out of the bus and walking over to the stage equipment to watch as they set up the stage. Gale, my fiddle player and one of my best friends walks up behind me.

"One last show Peeta. Are we gonna burn it down?" he asks.

"I don't know. Not many people know about this so there's not gonna be a lot of people here," I tell him and he chuckles.

"But you hope that hot little piece of Dixie sunshine is here don't you?" He says.

"I don't want ten years ago to have been the last time I ever see her," I say.

"You still love her don't you. Ten years, you still love the girl who broke your heart and ran away from a once in a lifetime chance to tour with one of the greatest singers of all time," he says.

"She didn't want to stay. She had to for her mother and sister," I say.

"That's the same thing you say every time I find you crying in your room at night with a whiskey bottle in your hand," he says.

"That's because I don't have answers. Tonight I'll finally know if she still loves me. I might get to finally talk to her again," I say and I walk back to my bus. I walk in and go to my sketch book laying on the table. I flip through and finally rest on my favorite picture I drew of her. It was when I first saw her, standing in the crowd. Everyone around her are just dark shadows without faces. She outshines them all. Her hair a soft dark brown woven into a tight braid and her silver eyes gleam happily as she stands at my feet singing along.

I remember that beautiful voice all though I haven't heard it in ten years. It sounded like honey and sunshine and it made me believe I had a purpose when she told how my music had helped her. I miss her more and more every day.

I remember the way her dark curls tumbled down her shoulders when I undid her braid. Her soft lips that tasted faintly of mint. Her laugh when ever a blushed at her. And her tears as she ran away. The feel of her lips leaving my cheek as she bolted that morning as the sun rose. I miss her with all my heart. She was an angel here on Earth. I just pray I witness that angel's presence again tonight.