Chapter 21: Peeta

"I'm scared," Katniss says as she pulls on her boots.

"Why? You sing all the time," I say.

"Yeah but this time it's in front of a bunch of people who will be judging me," she says."The only other time I've sang for anybody but you or the kids or the band, I was on stage with you and blinded by the lights."

"You'll be fine. They'll love you," I say.

"You're no help at all," she says stomping off.

"Oh come on Wildflower. You are most talented woman I know. You are gonna blow them away," I say.

"You don't know that Peeta!" she shouts and then she sighs and sits down."I'm sorry, I'm just nervous. I'm not exactly the most likable person. My boss always tells me I have the charm of a dead slug."

"You need to stop worrying. I'm gonna be right there with you," I tell her.

"Alright," she says. "I'll go get the kids ready."

"We'll leave once they're ready," I say and she nods and walks out of the room.

About a hour later, we're in a studio and Katniss is sitting in the sound booth next to me tapping her foot nervously.

"You're fine Katniss. Just pick a song," I say.

"They're all just staring at me through that glass. They're judging me like a piece of meat," she says.

"Pretend they aren't there. Pretend its just you and me," I say. "Sing that song you sang for Taylor the other night."

"I don't know," she says.

"You'll be fine," I say and she stays silent,"Okay, how about I start and you join in when you're ready."

"Fine," she says. I start playing the song on my guitar.

"She left a yellow rose and a long neck bottle
On a table beside my bed
With a short little note said "I had a good time"
It was written in lipstick red
She didn't sign her name, I wonder
If that's a little secret that she keeps
Mmm, she's walkin' around in my sleep" And Katniss stands up to the mic and starts sing the chorus with me.

"Dream walkin', pillow talkin'
She's callin' my name again
Day's breakin', I ain't wakin' up
I'm sleepin' in, I'm on a roll now
I gotta know how this dream ends"
I stop singing and just let her show herself off.

"She took my new sunglasses and my old jean jacket
And she never even bothered to ask
You could say I haven't seen her since late last summer
But every night she comes back
And just like smoke through the keyhole
She slips in so silently
Mmm, she's walkin' around in my sleep

Dream walkin', pillow talkin'
She's callin' my name again
Day's breakin', I ain't wakin' up
I'm sleepin' in, I'm on a roll now
I gotta know how this dream ends" And suddenly Katniss steps back to give me a taste of my own medicine.

"Ooh, there's a thin line between
Dreams and memories
I'll be losin' my mind
Until she comes back to me, yea"
And she joins me again for the ending.

"Dream walkin', pillow talkin'
She's callin' my name again
Day's breakin, I ain't wakin' up
I'm sleepin' in, I'm on a roll now
I gotta know how this dream ends
I'm on a roll now
I gotta know how this dream ends
I'm on a roll now
I gotta know how this dream ends
She's walkin' around in my sleep
She's walkin' around in my sleep, yea"

Katniss starts laughing and then turns back to the glass and notices how all the big wigs are staring at her. She suddenly gets a very confident smirk on her face and then curtsies before speaking very confidently into the mic.

"Thank you for your consideration," she says before opening the door and walking out. I watch as she walks past them as though they aren't even there and out of the room. I just shake my head and walk out and into the main room.

"Sorry about that. She's got a style all her own," I say. "So what did you do think?"

"I think she has something young girls can look up to. I think she will give those small town people hope. If she can overcome what she's overcome and have the courage to get up there on stage and sing her little heart out," Plutarch says.

"It sounds like you're trying to sell her. She's not a franchise. She's a person. She's my wife and I don't want you guys to use her. She's only doing this because she wants to let me live my dream again and I said I'd only do it if she came along," I say.

"Well she's quite talented. I'm just saying that her past is gonna be something to look up to. People are really obsessed with what someone comes from. I know you don't want to, but you've got to talk to her about her past. She needs to know a lot of this is gonna come out," he says. "Including your guys' little accident."

"Joey wasn't planned, but I will never call him an accident," I say.

"Some people might think you abandoned them because you were just some scared kid. That the only reason you two even got back together was because of your guilt," he says.

"I didn't abandon them. I didn't know she was pregnant when I left. She didn't even know. I loved her but she had to stay to be with her mother and sister. I love her with all my heart. I have since I laid eyes on her. And I have spent more then two years trying to make up for those ten I wasn't there," I say getting a little agitated.

"I know you have. I'm just trying to prepare you for what you're going to get, both of you," he says sitting back.

"I'll keep that in mind," I say standing up. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go show my family around the town my wife has been dreaming of for twenty years."