Chapter 3

Mi-Cha mindlessly swings her legs back and forth as she sits on the edge of the examination table. The steady thump of her heel against the side of the table somehow calmed her, gave her something to focus on rather than get sucked into her mind.

Mi-Cha, you're safe. They're good people. They want to help you.

She mentally chants those sentences over and over again in attempts to subdue the mountain of anxiety looming over her. A soft knock on the door stops all her movements, even halting her breathing.

"Mi-Cha, we're coming in okay?" Dr. Kim's voice calls.

"Okay," she manages to say stably, blowing out the breath she was holding.

"This is my wife, Ha-Joon. She'll be assisting me with your examination today," Dr. Kim says.

"Nice to meet you sweetheart. One second—Namjoon, get in here and take these cuffs off," she says, opening in the door and yelling down the hall.

The sound of jingling keys ring throughout the quiet space as he jogs down the hall.

"Sorry, meant to do this earlier. Just don't run off on me okay? You're safe here," Namjoon says, making eye contact and tilting his head up slightly—not as high as Dr. Kim did, but baring his neck either way.

"I won't," she says with a slight lift of her chin.

He unlocks the cuffs and her shoulders relax. She could breathe a little easer now that the rubber coated silver wasn't subduing her energy.

"Okay, now that that's over, we need you to put this on, just so everything is easy to get to when we look you over. You can take a shower and change into some fresh clothes after your examination. We'll step out now. Just knock on the door when you're finished," Mrs. Kim says.

Mi-Cha nods and takes the gown from her hands, not sliding off the table until the door clicks behind them. She locks it and peels her dirty dress off, folding it and placing it on the counter before slipping into the the thin open backed gown. She takes it back off and pulls it on backwards so she could tie it before pulling her arms inside the sleeves and turning it back around.

She knocks on the door and hops up on the table, closing her eyes and chanting to herself again.

Let's get this over with so I can take a shower.

She was coated in dried blood, her own, her father's, and probably some of that vampire's too. It looked, felt, and smelled gross and she couldn't wait to scrub her skin until it was squeaky clean.

"Alright Mi-Cha, we're going to check your vitals first," Dr. Kim says, both him and Mrs. Kim slipping on some gloves.

"I'm gonna check your eyes and ears with this first," Dr. Kim says, shining the light on his hand first so she could see it.

She nods and he goes for her ears first, gently pulling them as he checks them. When he's done, he checks her eyes as well.

"Your eyes and ears are in tip top shape. Next, I'm going to make sure your scent glands are working properly okay. I'm concerned because you've been distressed, but your scent is barely noticeable. Wolves' scents are usually stronger when they're upset," he says and she nods.

He takes his pointer and middle fingers from both hands and press down on the fleshy area behind her ear, releasing her scent into the room.

"Oh they definitely work. What a lovely scent dear," Mrs. Kim compliments.

"That's me?" she asks, smelling the sweet, but floral scent wafting around in the air.

"It is," Dr. Kim chuckles, pulling his gloved hands away.