Chapter 29

"Happily ever after doesn't come easy, but for love, it's always worth the fight," MiMi concludes, closing the book she was reading.

All the kids in the circle cheer and  clap their little hands adorably, making her smile. She checks her watch as she stands.

"Alright kids, gather your books. Your parents will be here in a few minutes," she calls.

Two familiar scents drift past her nose and she turns, smiling once she sees her mates talking with Mrs. Kim.

"You're so good with them," JK compliments, making her blush.

"Thank you," she says, stepping into his open arms.

"She's a natural," Mrs. Kim praises and Jimin agrees.

It had been a week since she'd started her job at the library and she was doing great, but still wasn't quite used to being away from her mates.

"You're welcome Pretty girl. Ready for lunch?" JK asks as she hugs Jimin.

"As soon as the kids leave. I have to give them their high fives on the way out the door," she giggles at the little tradition she'd started with the pups.

They were all so innocent and adorable that she couldn't bare the thought of upsetting them.

"Jimin-ah!" Yuna, one of her readers screams when she sees him, alerting the other children.

Soon, he had about a dozen pups surrounding him, all chattering excitedly. He was one of their favorite volunteer readers and he'd planned to come back and do it more frequently. It warmed Mimi and JK's heart to see him interacting so wholesomely with them.

Soon after, the parents filed in to pick up their kids, some with little birthday gifts for her, which she'd thanked them profusely for. Whereas she hadn't really felt like a significant part in the community before, she most certainly did now. She spent half her shifts interacting with the kids, which in turn led to her interacting with their parents. She was grateful that everyone had been so kind and welcoming. Unknowingly, she was a bit of a legend around town due to being part of a trio of mates—not to mention her skin tone as well. Most people around here had never seen a person of color in person. Packs tended to stay close and one as big and self sufficient as this had no need to do much venturing out.

After sending her last little reader off with a high five, she made her way into the back office to grab her purse, re-glossing her lips before joining her mates.

"Ready?" Jimin asks and she nods, threading her fingers through his.

"What does the birthday girl want for lunch?" JK asks, straightening her birthday sash before threading his hands with hers as well.

"I'm literally dying for a burger," she exclaims dramatically, making them laugh.

"We'd better get you one then. We can walk to the cafe from here," JK grins, locking the truck where it was parked on the curb.

The cafe was a little busy as it was lunch time but the wait was well worth it for the behemoth of a burger they were about to eat.

"So...are you excited for tonight?" Jimin asks and she smiles, nodding until she could swallow the bite she'd just chewed.

"I am, but how am I supposed to pick what to wear if I don't know where we're going?" she pouts.

"Don't worry, it'll all work itself out," JK says, giving her a knowing grin that makes her roll her eyes playfully.

"The suspense," she sighs, shaking her head.

"Will be worth it," Jimin chimes, kissing her cheek.

This is what she got for leaving her birthday plans completely up to them. They'd asked her what she wanted to do, but she hadn't the slightest clue really. In her mind, just being acknowledged was more than enough.