Chapter 17

Monday morning, MiMi found herself lying on a chaise in Dr. Min's office practicing a deep breathing technique he'd taught her.

Today was the day that she'd have to get into the heavy stuff so she'd have statements to turn in on Wednesday for Chul and Dr. Seo's trial. To say she was nervous was an understatement. Anxiety had been eating her alive from the moment she woke up.

"If it makes you feel better, you don't have to lie on your back. You could turn on your side; you could face away—just whatever's comfortable. As long as I can hear you, it's okay," Dr. Min assures and she immediately takes his advice, turning on her side, away from him.

Shame is one of the many things she struggled with when speaking of her trauma and she would prefer not to see his face when she spoke of such things.

"Let me know when you're ready to start and let me know when if you need to stop and take a break. I have two hours cleared after your appointment so don't worry about time," he says and she nods, taking a moment to pull herself together.

"I'm ready," she says after a few moments of silence.

"Okay, I consulted Judge Min about this and we came up with some questions that he needs answered; so I'll structure this appointment around answering these questions," he says before jumping into the first question.

"You stated that Hak Chul, Seo Sungho, and Park Hanja have been involved from the beginning. Do you remember the first incident that led you to believe this?" he asks.

"About a week before my 14th birthday, my father took me to Dr. Seo and he gave me a shot of what I now know was birth control. Two weeks went by after that and one Saturday, Park Hanja, Dr. Seo's mate, came to my house. She had a bag of clothes and makeup with her. She said that I was going on a play date and that she was there to make me look pretty. She put me in the smallest dress she had, stuffed my bra with cotton, and did my hair and makeup. She told my father it was done, he gave her cash, and she left. He was drunk—couldn't even look at me that night, but he took me to the van outside that Chul was driving and told him to make sure I came back alive.

The ride was silent and really long and I don't know exactly where we went because it was dark, but we ended up at this really huge house with a gate around it. Chul gave me what I now know was bottle of soju and made me chug it before we went in so needless to say, I was very woozy when we went inside.

Still, I'll never forget that man's face. He was human, had on an expensive looking suit, and looked like he was in his 40s. I don't remember what he and Chul said to each other, but he gave Chul two briefcases full of money and I called out to him as he turned to leave, but he just kept walking. The man told me not to worry and that we were going to play now. He took my hand and led me to his bedroom...

I remember being confused and scared when I saw where we were because there was no toys. H-he sat me on the bed and started to touch me. I jerked away and told him he shouldn't be touching me that way and he got angry. He tried to hold me down, but I fought. He called Chul and I guess Chul told him to give me more alcohol because he held me down and poured scotch in my mouth. I couldn't move, but I felt him take my clothes off... he raped me and I guess I passed out because I woke up at home in my bed with the same clothes on from the night before. That was the first time," she says, her tone of voice distant as she recalled the heinous event.

"Im so sorry you had to experience that Mi-Cha. Is that how it happened every time?" he asks and she shakes her head.

"After that is when Dr. Seo or my father would inject me with that drug they did. My father wasn't very fond of me fighting back that night so that was their solution. Hanja would come dress me and do my hair and makeup while I was out of it and they—both Chul and my father from that point on—would take me wherever we were going. By the time we got there, the drug will have really kicked in so I don't have too many memories of the actual assaults after that—just the aftermath—you know, waking up in pain and in the same clothes and makeup from the night before," she answers.