Chapter 14

Point of view Ashton

Alena was asleep in my arms when I got her back to the dorm. She had fallen asleep in the subway on the way back. She laid on my chest so peacefully. I didn't feel like waking her up, so I decided to pick her up. She was light as a feather. While sleeping, she looked so delicate. I entered the room and dropped her in her bed.

This was the first time I had stepped into the room since the beginning of the year. The two sides of the room were opposites. Sierra's side had a darker and more gothic decoration, while Alena had a more subtle one. It didn't have much to it.

Last year, Nero's soulmate lived here. Her name was Celia. She was beautiful and so gentle. She brought softness to the Shadow Dorms. She could heal wounds and trauma. It was kind of fascinating. I was too scared to let her approach me. I regret that decision when I do stupid things like getting Alena's attention with my ex Dysnomia.

However, gentle things don't belong in the Shadow Cast. They can't survive. The trial will be at the end of the term that is coming up. A sort of maze run which occurs over three days. Some come out; others don't. Celia never did.

Alena moved around in her bed. I watched her for a few moments. She never really lets me close to her like this. I never wanted this to end. So, I did what any stupid college boy would do. I would take the only thing keeping her from me—her necklace.

I wanted her to desire me, to like me. When she finally falls in love with me, I will feel it as your bond will grow more robust, and I will make her mine. Soulmates bind the soul, but ultimately, the choice is ours.

I also decided to take off the enchanted dream catchers around the room while leaving a note on Sierra's room: "Please don't kill me for the dream catchers; I promise I won't visit you. Let me have this with Alena. I'll bring them back soon."

I felt like a thief. Alena was turning around her bed. It seems to be like her dream became uncomfortable. I kissed her on the forehead before hearing her talk in the sleep: "Justice."

She had just murmured a boy's name. My curiosity was killing me. I wanted to learn more. I sat next to her in her bed and put my back against the wall. I closed my eyes and focused on Alena. It took a while before I could find her and join her in her dream. I focused on being in the shadows so she wouldn't find or see me.

I was on a beach. I had never been to the beach. Alena was sitting on a log. She was crying, sobbing, screaming. This was not a dream; this was a memory that played in her dreams. I couldn't imagine the torture.

Soulmates are supposed to help with nightmares, but here was I, living it with her. I could put all of this to a stop if I wanted to but decide not to.

A boy with long blond hair came rushing. Her heart was beating a little faster. He called her name.

- "I don't want to go to Hellia."

He held her in her arms while she cried. They seemed so comfortable together like this wasn't the first time they were so vulnerable. I had the urge to jump in, kick the guy's ass, and ruin the whole thing, but I remained static.

- "You'll come back for Thanksgiving break, and I will be waiting for you at the surf cabana." He smiled while playing with her hair.

- "My mom always thought I was going to go." She said while playing with his hair. She seemed calmer.

- "I want to be selfish and ask you to stay." He spoke.

She didn't respond. She let out a loud breath like she was releasing years of pain.

- "I want to create a life with you, Alena." He added.

She stood up while taking his face. She looked him dead into the eyes. "I want you to forget about me." She whispered. "A life with you is impossible, Justice."

Justice stayed static for a few seconds before stepping away from her. Confusion was written all around his face. The love that once existed in his eyes had magically disappeared.

- "I... Who... are you?" He asked while stepping away from her.

She grabbed him. "Alena. Justice, it's me." He didn't recognize her and continued to walk away. She realized what she had done. Her words had become a reality. She let him walk away while she dropped to her knees.

- "I didn't mean it!" She cried while the rain started falling from the sky. A whole storm had come in, in seconds. Lighting struck, inches away from her. She seemed unbothered while her grey eyes lit up.

The storm reflected her inner feelings, her heartbreak, her goodbye to the first man she's ever loved. The storm reflected her courage, her gifts, her curse. The storm represented the past, the present, and the future. It wasn't the end.

The sky wasn't over with the chaos, and neither was I, sadly.