Chapter 39

Chapter 39- Time flies 

Point of view Alena Underwood  

For the rest of the year, Ashton was only a shadow in the halls of Hellia University. Months flew by, the leaves changed colors and fell during the winter. For a while, Hellia was covered with snow. It was such a beautiful scenery. For most of the winter, I decided to stay inside, cooped up in my room. However, it wasn't long before I felt like I was going insane. The coldness of the winter was nothing compared to what my husband was putting me through. I could sense his emotions that were always a mix of so many things: mostly anger, and loneliness. 

I couldn't believe I didn't talk to my soulmate since the day of the wedding. He never let me close to him. I would see him in classes, or glimpses of him across the halls but never had he gotten close to me. It was torture. I wished with all my heart that he would just talk to me. 

It wasn't long until people started to realize that we weren't together. Girls started storming him again. He didn't seem to mind, or chase them away. He would just nod, and pretend to listen to them. 

People started talking and rumors were flying everywhere. It was hard at first. I cried myself to sleep every single day for months straight but after a while, I got used to the void. I wasn't going to the die by his absence because seeing glimpses of him was enough to give me some sort of hope that he hadn't disappeared for ever. 

To get my mind off things, I started working out with Thomas and Noah. The two twins who turn into werewolf sometimes. We worked things out when they understood Ash was no longer interested in talking to me. 

We became a group of friends. Sierra came out of her shell and started hanging out with us. She reconciled  with Willow and pretended to be okay to see her with Nero. However, things didn't seem so perfect with Willow and Nero. I would often catch sad glimpses of Nero looking towards his ex-girlfriend. 

All together, we did everything as a group. We went to parties, and studied late nights for our exams. My friends helped me get my mind off being away from home, and helped me feel not so alone. 

So time went on at Hellia University, without my soulmate by my side. 

Classes went well as well. Ms. Rose did not give me a single break but I learned how to fight. However, in all my classes which touched on the utilization of my power, there was a huge blockage. I felt like my potential was not being used to its fullest. After all, my mother was famous in the supernatural world. It was uncommon to have someone so "weak" after her. It just didn't make sense. 

 I knew that if I wanted answers, I had to get them on my own. I knew only one person could help with this issue, and that was no other than my father. 

*** 

It was late into the spring when I finally decided to do something about all of the things that were clouding my mind. 

I was sitting on my bed, reflecting on the past few months. Sierra snapped her fingers towards me. She had gotten to know me. She could read my expressions and my thoughts and was never wrong. Obviously, her powers helped her and her intuition. 

"You need to do something about Ashton and your dad." She says as the card my dad gave me was turning in my hands for the past few minutes. 

"You think I don't know that?" I ask. "What should I do?" 

She looks at me with her clear blue eyes in total disbelief. Sierra was about to speak. After months living with her, I knew she didn't speak her mind that often. She was the type of friend that would listen, and let you learn from your mistakes. But once in a while, she will just tell you what to do when she thinks you have no where to go. In my situation, this was the case. 

"First of all, you need to take that ring off and drop it into Ashton's room." She says pointing at my ring finger. 

My wedding ring was everything I ever wanted. A pearl shaped diamond that was so beautiful, I rarely could take my eyes off of it. It showed that I belong to someone, even though all of it was a lie. I was clinging on to hope. 

Sierra knew that ring was no good for me and I had to send a message. 

"Secondly, you need to write a letter  and tell your dad that you will be free for this summer. He has answers you need." She says pointing at the card in my hands.  

Sierra was right. I needed to do these things in order to move in with my life. 

"Thank you, Sierra." I say while I get out a piece of paper out my desk.  

She nodded her head before plunging her head back into the book she was reading. I played with the card for another few minutes before I started writing a few sentences. It was a simple letter. Nothing affectionate. Just letting him know that I am ready for him to give me answers that I need about my powers. I told him that I would be free this summer and signed my name. 

Once the letter was written, I looked at my ring finger. I was slowly figuring my life out and taking the steps I needed. I slid the ring out of my finger and stared at it for a while. It was time to close a chapter of the book, or maybe a whole book for that matter

But first, I needed to send him this message. I needed to do this before I could finally move on with the love of my life. Maybe I would finally realize that I never got married. Maybe it was all a dream. Just something I did to save the lives of people. It wasn't because of love, it was all a fantasy. A dream. 

Maybe once this ring is given back, hell will no longer be upside down. Maybe hell will not be so pleasant anymore. Maybe chaos will no be attractive after all.  And, maybe I will finally forget what love felt like.