24~ Love at First Bark

Will and I were just sitting on his front porch, when a dog came out of nowhere. He happily trotted up to us. He was just a puppy. He didn't look much older than six months old.

He had light tan fur with spots of whites on his nose, feet, and tail. His eyes were a clear crystal blue. The fur was on the shorter side and his ears were all perked up. His paws were big, meaning he would grow a little more.

Will stood up and looked around. There wasn't anyone in sight.

"There's no one here. Maybe he got out, check his collar," Will said.

The dog had a collar with tags. One tag had his shot records on it and the other had a single phone number. There was no name or anything on the tags.

"Oh it has a phone number." I pulled out my phone from my back pocket. "Go get him some water, I'll call the number." I told Will. He went inside to get water for the dog.

I dialed the number. It rang a few times before the person on the other side of the phone picked up.

"Hello?" They said. 

"Hi, my name is Cora Barnes. I'm calling because your dog just showed up at my front door. Is-" I started.

"Keep the dog. I don't want it anymore. Keep it away from me and please don't call me again." She interrupted me.

"But ma'am your dog."

"I told you to keep it. I want nothing to do with that mutt. Have a nice day." She snapped angrily and hung up the call.

I looked down at my phone in shock. What kind of person would say that about their dog? I sat back down on the steps. The dog came and sat next to me. He looked at me happily.

"How'd the call go?" Will asked as he set down a bowl of water in between us for the dog.

The dog immediately started drinking the water. He's probably hungry too.

"It was horrible. The lady picked up and once I mentioned the dog she cut me off and told me to keep him away from her. She was all bitter and rude."

I looked down at the cute boy. He's such a sweet dog. I don't know why the lady doesn't want him.

"What are we supposed to do, Will? The owner doesn't want the dog anymore."

He shrugged. "I don't know, Cora. We can't keep it here. Mom is allergic to dogs."

"I can try to get Dad to agree to keep him, but no promises. We might have to find a family to give him away to."

Michael pulled up with Kenzie and her friend. They saw the dog and immediately ran straight to him. Micheal got out with a confused look on his face.

"Where'd you get the dog?" He asked.

"He just walked up to us when we were sitting here. We called the owner and she made it clear that she didn't want him anymore. Cora's going to see if she can keep him." Will explained to his father.

Michael nodded and bent down to pet him. "He's a cutie. Good luck getting Randy on board"

"Thanks Michael" I rolled my eyes playfully at him.

"Come on girls, we gotta get your soccer stuff, so we can go to practice" he said. The girls went inside to get their soccer stuff.

I stood up and Will stood with me.

"Do you want me to go with you? Or do you want to go alone?"

"I think I can brave it alone. If I don't make it back, tell Connor he was my favorite." I said jokingly.