Chapter 13: Tenacity of the Slayers

The Mugen Train continued barreling down its tracks and blared its horn as Tanjirou and Lynn both flung themselves atop the train where they then turned run towards the front of the train. While running towards the steam engine dragging the rest of the train behind it, Lynn found it difficult to stay awake and was having trouble staying on her feet. Using the Tenseiga was much more taxing than she initially thought it was, but despite this handicap she gave herself, she had no regrets and continued ahead to fulfill her duty. She kept her pace behind Tanjirou as the two slayers both reached the second train car behind the caboose where they stopped in their tracks when they found themselves staring at the back of the demon, Enmu. Noticing their presence behind him, the sleep demon glanced with a smile plastered on his face as Lynn and Tanjirou both raised their guards while staring down the demon.

"What? You're awake? Good morning!" Enmu turned around and gave them a shilling smile and wave as he pointed his hand to aim the mouth on his hand towards them with its creepy smile. "You could've stayed asleep." He said in a teasing manner as Tanjirou and Lynn had their hands ready to draw their swords.

"It was him!" Tanjirou concluded after hearing his statements and connecting everything in that moment.

"You bastard..." Lynn muttered in a low fierce tone.

"Why did you wake up? Didn't I show you a sweet dream? I could've shown you a dream where your family was being slaughtered. Would you have liked that one better? No, of course not. Too distressing, right?" Enmu spoke in shrill voice as the two slayers were confused about what he was going on about. "All right, next...Why don't I show you a dream where your father comes back to life? Or should I show you a happy life where you're the bride of that white haired man in your dreams?" He teased as this only further enraged Tanjirou to the point where the veins on his head were beginning to show on his skin, while Lynn's pupils dilated and she drew her blade as the veins on her hand were popping out as well.

"I'll make you pay for what you did..." Lynn said as a strange breathing noise became audible when she was taking in air.

"Tch...!" Tanjirou grit his teeth as he tightened his grip on his hilt and the air around the two dispersed for a moment when their breathing techniques kicked in.

"I mixed my blood with the ink on the tickets. Once the conductor punches them, creating clamp marks...the spell activates." Enmu thought as he put away his smile to stare at the two of them with a perplexed face. "And yet...how did these two manage to wake up? And they found a the way to wake up in a short time. Even though the human desire for blissful dreams, for self-serving dreams..." Enmu's thoughts trailed off as he smiled once more at the two of them. "...is so enormous!" He said with excitement as the two slayers began to draw their blades.

"Don't you dare intrude on my soul!" Tanjirou yelled as he and Lynn readied their blades. "We won't let you get away with this!" He yelled as Enmu noticed something on Tanjirou's ears.

"What's that? I see he's wearing earrings..." Enmu thought before a creepy smile crept onto his face when he realized who was stood before him. "How lucky is that? So, he came right to me! This is like a dream! Now I can receive even more blood of Master Muzan!" He suddenly raised his hands and exclaimed how thrilled he was feeling. "And once I become more powerful, I'll challenge an Upper Rank demon to a duel to replace him!" He laughed as Tanjirou began to make his move.

"Water Breathing..." Tanjirou raised his katana above his head before lowering it back down to his left side. "Tenth Form...Constant Flux!" Tanjirou readied his attack as Lynn looked with amazement.

"Blood Demon Art!" Enmu raised his hand above his head as the mouth on his hand smiled creepily and Tanjirou charged ahead. "Whispers of Forced Unconscious Hypnosis." He aimed his hand's mouth toward Tanjirou as it opened to speak. "Go to sleep!" It spoke in an unnerving tone as Tanjirou felt a strange force suddenly hit him and he stopped running as he lost consciousness.