Chapter 17: To Improve One's Self

"Why didn't you help us...? Why would you do such a thing to Rengoku...!? How could you?!" Tanjirou screamed before he was met with a backfist as you sent him flying to the side as he landed next to Lynn.

"I have no desire to listen to your pathetic pleas or frustrated ventilations." You said as Tanjirou could barely push himself off the ground as he stared at you. "The fault lies with you all just simply not being strong enough, and for getting in my way. I'm not here to help you with your dreams, I'm here to just squash Kibutsuji Muzan under my heels once and for all. I have no time for useless qualms like the death of your dear Flame Hashira." You said while walking into the forest. "He will die, and there's nothing you can do about it, and I have no desire in helping him." You said as you walked ahead into the forest.

"No..." Tanjirou couldn't help but feel completely helpless and sad about the situation as he turned his head to see you growing farther and farther away. "Rengoku...I...I'm sorry...!" He thought in sadness as he began to weep.

"Stop all your fuss already." A voice spoke up in a gentle tone as Tanjirou turned around to see Rengoku was the one who spoke, as Inosuke stood behind him unsure what to do. "You'll reopen that stomach wound. You're badly injured, too, remember? If you die, Young Kamado, it'll mean I'm the loser." He spoke with a gentle smile on his face.

"Rengoku..." Tanjirou choked up as Rengoku turned a bit more towards the young slayer. "Let's talk a bit one last time." Rengoku asked as Tanjirou got to his feet to head over to him before kneeling in front of Rengoku as his crow flew over and sat atop one of the train cars to listen to his partner's last words. "There's something that I remembered...while I was dreaming. You should go to my parent's home, the Rengoku residence. There should be some notes there left by the preceding Flame Hashira." He spoke as Lynn's eyes slowly opened from hearing how Rengoku was talking.

"No...I don't want this...This is too cruel..." Lynn thought as she tried to get up.

"My father read them often, but since I never did, I don't know what's in them. There might be some kind of record of that Hinokami Kagura you mentioned." Rengoku spoke in a strained voice as the arm Akaza left in him began to disintegrate and the blood loss increased.

"R-Rengoku, please don't talk anymore. Please stop the bleeding with a breathing technique. Isn't there any way to close up your wounds?" Tanjirou asked in desperation of Rengoku's deteriorating state.

"No." Rengoku answered as he continued to hold his smile towards Tanjirou. "It's just like he said before. I'll be dead soon." He informed Tanjirou of his fate as Tanjirou struggled to accept this outcome as more tears flowed.

Play Song At Top, Keep Playing It Until The End
Link: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=655j9WXi4DA )

"No...Rengoku, we're not ready for you to..." Lynn managed to turn over to her stomach and began to weakly crawl to the edge of the forest.

"I'm going to tell you all I can while I can still talk, so listen, will you?" Rengoku asked as Tanjirou could do nothing but listen to Rengoku's final words. "Tell my little brother, Senjuro...to follow his heart...and to walk down the path that he feels is right." Rengoku relayed his first request as Inosuke's hands trembled from emotional trauma as his swords clanked from his shakiness. "Tell my father...that I want him to take care of himself." He relayed his second request before looking Tanjirou in his eyes. "One more thing. Young Kamado...I believe in your little sister. I accept her as a member of the Demon Slayer Corps. I saw her bleeding as she protected the humans inside the train. Anyone who risks their lives fighting demons to protect humans...is a rightful member of the Demon Slayer Corps no matter what anyone else says. Go ahead and live with your head held high!" He said as Tanjirou's heart ached more and more with each word he was being told as Rengoku held his smile the entire time. "No matter how devastated you may be by your own weakness or uselessness...set your heart ablaze." He said as Tanjirou was beginning to weep once more for his senior. "Grit your teeth and look straight ahead. Even if you stop and crouch down, the time won't wait for you...or snuggle you and grieve along with you." He said as Lynn was beginning to cry as well while clawing her way closer to the tree line of the forest. "Don't feel bad that I'm going to die here. As a Hashira, of course I would shield my juniors. Any other Hashira would've done the same thing." He said as blood began to pool below him, and Lynn desperately reached her hand out to you, though she couldn't see you.