Chapter 22: The Battle Begins

After lurking in the shadows trying to dig up any information or smoke out where the Demon is hiding in the Entertainment District, Lynn began to realize that this demon was going to be a very troublesome beast to tackle with how well hidden it was hidden among the humans. After the first night there, nothing had been accomplished and worst of all, updates from Zenitsu had ceased. Uzui sent messages to Tanjirou and Inosuke to meet on the rooftops during the day and Lynn followed the Hashira as they swiftly moved across buildings to the other two. Whilst waiting for them to arrive, Tanjirou and Inosuke were sharing the information they acquired whilst staying at their assigned houses.

"I...told...you! There's a demon at my House, all right?" Inosuke said in an irritated tone as he started waving his arms around trying to imitate the demon. "I'm telling you, it was a thing like this! You know, like this!" He finished in a strange pose as Tanjirou was perplexed and a bit confused.

"Yeah, sure, uh...Hold up a second, okay?" Tanjirou said as Inosuke crossed his hands and began wriggling his fingers like a spider.

"Like this? Do you get this, then?" Inosuke asked trying to make Tanjirou understand.

"Uzui and Zenitsu should be coming soon to check in, so--!" Tanjirou tried calming down Inosuke, but the boarhead-less friend wasn't having it.

"It was like this, okay? It was clear to me!" Inosuke said as he threw his arms in the air strangely.

"Yeah. Yeah." Tanjirou said hoping his brief agreement would settle him down.

"Zenitsu won't be coming." Uzui's voice suddenly stepped into the conversation as they were caught off when the two of them turned to see Uzui and Lynn perched on the edge of the building.

"This guy's got mad skills! He didn't make a sound. Not even the slightest puff of wind! The same with her...! Did he teach her or did she just pick it up from him?" Inosuke was even more shocked when he barely noticed Lynn as well.

"Zenitsu won't be coming? What do you mean by that?" Tanjirou asked as Lynn looked at Uzui who had a regretful look on his face.

"I feel bad about putting you through this. I wanted to...rescue my wives so badly, I made some bad decisions. As it stands, Zenitsu is missing. There's been no contact since last night." Uzui informed them of his regrets.

"I even scoped around the house he was in. His scent is completely gone." Lynn said with a heavy heart.

"You two should leave now. You're ranked too low for this. I should be fine with Lynn at least and her demonic abilities. If the demon here turns out to be an Upper Rank, you couldn't handle it. If you vanish from here, they'll assume that you're dead." Uzui said as he and Lynn both stood up. "We'll be continuing this mission on our own." He said as Tanjirou couldn't sit by.

"No, Uzui, we--!" Tanjirou was cut off when the Hashira spoke up once more.

"Don't be ashamed!" Tengen said, surprising the two boys. "Whoever survives, wins. Don't overlook your chance." Uzui said before suddenly vanishing into thin air.

"Come back here, old man!" Inosuke yelled, but to no avail as Lynn stood there in silence.

"Hey, Lynn..." Tanjirou spoke up as the demon girl turned towards him. "You think he can't trust us because we're the lowest ranked?" He asked her.

"I don't know, but it's a bit easier for me with my current situation for him to believe in my abilities. I know you want to help Zenitsu and stop the demon here, but Tanjirou...I have a really bad feeling about this place." Lynn said with fear of her friends getting hurt.

"Hey, our rank is Kanoe. We've already moved up." Inosuke said, surprising the both of them as they turned with shocked faces. "Do you remember all the rankings? Remember how we used to be Mizunoto at the very bottom? Now we're fourth from the bottom, Kanoe!" Inosuke finished explaining.