exactly the same way

Sirius had their next date planned perfectly. It was going to be the perfect combination of two of Sirius' favorite things- time with Remus and baseball. As he walked Remus to his van very early Thursday morning, he gave him the instructions to bring a change of clothes to wear for their outing- jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt. Remus was grinning ear-to-ear when he stepped out of the club on Sunday afternoon looking the most casual Sirius had even seen him.

"Hi again," Sirius smiled as Remus walked quickly towards him.

"Look okay?" Remus blushed under Sirius' scrutiny.

Sirius appraised him carefully; making a show of looking him over. "Hmm," he shifted his weight between his feet, "you're just missing one thing." He turned back to his car, opened the passenger door, and grabbed the jersey and baseball had he'd brought for Remus.

"That's two things," Remus teased him.

Sirius just tugged the hat on over Remus' curls before he took Remus' chin in his hand and tipped it up to steal a kiss. Remus was smiling even more when Sirius leaned away. "Guess where we're heading?" he unfolded the jersey in his hands. The fabric that fell in front of him was a creamy white with rich purple pinstripes with the word 'ROCKIES' spelled out in embroidered letters and a number 7 on the left-hand side.

"Hmm, dinner and a movie?" Remus laughed at himself and Sirius wrapped him in a hug.

"Yes," Sirius indulged his teasing, "dinner and a movie how did you know?"

Remus stepped out of his embrace and took the jersey Sirius was holding, "Rodgers? really?" he asked without turning it around, "here I had you pegged as a Blackmon fanatic."

Sirius was largely impressed, and a little turned on, by Remus' baseball knowledge. "I didn't know you followed baseball."

"I like that it's on all the time," Remus shrugged, "predictable yet interesting."

There was a somber cadence to Remus' tone that Sirius didn't know how to respond to, so he changed the subject. "As for being  a Blackmon fan, oh hell yes." He turned and pulled out his own jersey, identical to the one he offered Remus but with a 19 in place of the 7. 

Remus looked smugly at him, "glad to know I have you all figured out."

"You think so?"

"Mmhmm," Remus pushed up on his tiptoes and kissed Sirius, "now let's go."

"Bossy," Sirius remarked as he stepped aside to hold the door open for Remus, then they were on the way to Coors Field.

The game was good, but the time with Remus, that was great. Sirius was so smitten with him that every little thing Remus did make his heart do a little flip-flop- holding his hand in the car, taking silly pictures of him at the park, Remus pulling him along through the crowds of people with a death grip on Sirius' hand... all of it was making Sirius feel like he was going to fall. Hard.

During the top of the fifth inning, Remus and Sirius decided to track down something to eat and drink. Remus put Sirius in charge of securing helmet nachos and a soft pretzel for them to share, and when he made his way towards the bar to find Remus, he saw him talking to a man who was standing just a little too close to his date. As for Remus, well he seemed entirely uncomfortable, with his body turned away from the man even as he made polite small talk with him. Sirius was quick to approach in an attempt to ease Remus' discomfort.

"Hi sweetheart," Sirius stepped up to the bar right behind Remus, effectively pinning him to the bar. Remus let out a breath of relief as he relaxed against Sirius. Sirius bracketed him in with his arms and smiled at the woman who deposited the drinks Remus had ordered in front of them. "Everything alright?"