you love me?

Remus was floating on Wednesday morning when he woke up in Sirius' bed. He immediately checked his phone to see if Liam needed anything. They'd been texting last night and apparently Max was doing just fine, but Remus still worried. All of his shifting around in bed must have woke Sirius because he grumbled something like 'no' and 'come back' before he wrapped his arm around Remus and pulled him back tightly in the little spoon position.

"You're late for work," Remus told him.

Sirius sighed, "you don't know my schedule."

Remus giggled, "well it's," he paused to check the time on his phone, "almost 10 and most workdays start hours before that, so I assumed."

"Took the day off," Sirius said. He sounded really groggy and Remus was basking in the domesticity of it all. He let himself imagine doing this everyday – waking up to a sleepy Sirius and sharing coffee and breakfast with him. Maybe the kids would have come barreling in far too early to bury themselves in the covers; Sirius would grumble that they needed to settle down and go back to bed or they'd be grounded, but they would know Sirius' bark was way worse than his bite. Eventually, Sirius would lose hope that the kids would sleep again, so he would get up and make pancakes while Remus slept despite the constant wiggling from the other side of the bed. He would wake up to the smell of coffee and bacon. His siblings who weren't giggling under his covers would be teenage grumps and whine about waking up too early, but they would secretly be thrilled that Sirius was up and making breakfast. He'd talk to them as he worked and learn all about their lives and hopes and dreams; certainly they would tell Sirius more than they were ever willing to tell him. Remus would be jealous, but secretly pleased that they were happy to have Sirius in their life. Liam would be incredibly tired because he'd snuck out the night before and Remus would pointedly comment on the fact that Liam was exhausted, but never push to interrogate him about why. It would all be so perfect. Sirius sighed from behind Remus, "want pancakes?"

Remus smiled, "did you just read my mind?"

"Probably," he kissed the back of Remus' neck and Remus felt a smile form on Sirius' lips.

"Hmmm."

"So that's a yes?"

Remus nodded.

Sirius propped himself up on one elbow and leaned down to kiss Remus on the cheek, "okay. Chocolate chips or blueberries?"

"Chocolate chips," Remus smiled when Sirius kissed him again.

"Coming right up," another kiss and then Sirius made his way out of bed. He threw on a pair of sweatpants from one of the dressers in his room before he left to make the breakfast he'd promised.

-=-

Their morning together was almost so good that Sirius could dispel his anxiety. But realistically, Sirius knew that there was nothing he or Remus could have done to get Sirius off edge. That was why he took the day off – so he could take Remus to work and sit with him at the club all day, or at least until his tee time with his father and his friends. Remus was probably counting down to the time Sirius would go to play his round because Sirius was relentless in his checking in. He must have asked Remus 15 times if he was okay. Remus always smiled at him and politely reassured him that he was just fine. Sirius wanted to cross the bar and wrap Remus in his arms and not let go. He knew he was needy, and he didn't particularly care. So what if he needed a little extra reassurance? Could someone really fault him for wanting a few extra touches?

Once, when the bar was empty, Remus reached across the surface and squeezed Sirius' hand and the relief was immediate. That was all Sirius got throughout the day though, because the bar was busy and Orion and his friends came ahead of their tee time for a few drinks.