it takes a lot of strength to do that

Remus felt his throat closing on itself. He wanted to try to stop the tears, but not showing his genuine emotion would be a disservice to Sirius to that moment. "Okay," he said, and then wiped his tears with the sleeves of the shirt he was wearing.

"Oh, honey, you don't have to cry." Sirius shifted on the couch and Remus fell into the embrace he offered. Sirius pressed a kiss to the top of his head, "let's go back to bed," he murmured.

Remus nodded before they got up and made their way back to where he'd been sleeping. While Remus took a short detour to check on Max, Sirius made himself comfortable and pushed the comforter open for Remus.

"Am I gonna get to see your dad?" Remus asked as he settled in next to Sirius.

Sirius chuckled softly, "yeah probably."

"Does he know that I'm here?"

"He does... both him and my mom are out in the guest house right now, but they'll probably be back at the main house at some point before we leave. "

Remus laid there silently while his anxiety about Orion clouded his mind.

"I told him, about us I mean."

"He was upset?"

"No," Sirius chuckled, "I think when I first told him he was disappointed because I also had to tell him that we were over... he thought we'd have been a good match. And he told me that he should've known something was up since I didn't like golf that much. "

Remus laughed too and then he finally let himself relax into sleep.

He woke up the next morning to Sirius, rubbing comforting circles across his back, "time to get up," Sirius said softly. "We have to get a move on in a couple hours."

"What time is it? "Remus said groggily.

"Just after 5:30."

Remus sighed and pulled the covers up over his head. He was exhausted, yesterday was a whirlwind, and he'd just barely gotten a taste of what good sleep felt like as he slept next to Sirius.

"Do your kids like eggs?"

With the comforter still over his head, Remus managed to mutter, "yes, why?"

"I'm going to make an egg bake for breakfast for my mom. But she won't make that till later. What do you want for breakfast? "

"12 gallons of coffee."

Sirius chuckles and Remus wanted to scowl because he was dead serious.

"I can make us some food or we could grab something on the way to the hospital, either is fine by me."

It has been quite some time since Remus let himself indulge in an entirely overpriced breakfast sandwich, and a coffee from Starbucks, and he felt guilty for thinking of that for breakfast this morning. He made a mental note to have a very intentional conversation with Sirius about money and expectations and just in general what the fuck they were doing. And he was already being presumptuous.

He filed that thought away for later, behind the list of things he already had to worry about today... get to the hospital, finally call Liam (they'd been texting, but Remus hadn't been fully transparent), figure out work, pay rent, send a check to the utility company. After making his mental to do list, the few good hours of sleep he'd gotten last night seemed entirely insufficient. It was then that he realized that Sirius was still sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for an answer about their breakfast. "Honestly I would really love some Starbucks."

"Sounds good to me," it sounded like Sirius was smiling.

Finally Remus removed the covers and gave Sirius a look that must have been as hesitant as he felt to ask the next question. "Are you dropping us off then leaving? Or can you stay?"