King Max

"Dr. Karev, this is Sirius. Sirius, Dr. Karev."

The handsome young doctor put his hand out and Sirius shook it. "Sirius Black," he said while the doctor looked him over once.

"Your relation to the patient?"

A doctor standing behind him clear their throat.

"Um, he's my..." Remus tried to explain their relationship.

"Partner," Sirius offered quickly. "Remus and I are partners and I'm here to support him and Max."

Dr. Karev didn't seem convinced as he continued to look wearily at Sirius, glancing away only when Max started fussing from where he was sitting in Remus' lap.

Remus let the young boy down and he immediately moved to Sirius, demanded to be picked up, and tucked his teary face into the crook of Sirius' neck. "I know buddy," Sirius held him but he knew better than to try to soothe him physically, as that typically induced some sort of discomfort. He looked up at Dr. Karev who now looked resigned to the fact that Sirius was a part of Max's treatment. Sirius was certain the man was just doing his due diligence as a medical provider to make sure Max had a safe home.

"Well, Remus, we've discussed a lot of what this treatment is going to look like for Max. It's going to be significantly more intensive than what we were doing for outpatient. Your team will consist of myself and these surgical interns you see behind me, along side a team of oncologists," Sirius looked up as one of waved slightly, "a family wellness specialist, and a hospitalist, not to mention the amazing nurses who will perform day-to-day care. We're going to get Max started here and then our hospitalist will be around to make sure you're settling in okay and provide any information you might need as inpatient care takers."

Remus nodded, "will you be back around to go over the care plan again?"

"Certainly. My team and I round daily so if you don't see us again today, you will, without a doubt, tomorrow. Our hospitalist can provide you with documentation, also."

Remus nodded, then so did the doctor before he turned on his heel and nodded at a nurse. The interns followed him out the door while the nurse moved closer to the bed.

"Alright, let's get our little guy started with an IV. Sirius, would you be able to transfer him to the bed, please."

Sirius nodded now and he stood to carry Max to the hospital bed. When he moved to deposit the young boy, Max gripped him tighter around his neck. "Okay, okay," Sirius reassured him, and instead of trying to lift Max down to the bed, he sat with him still clinging to him for dear life. "We talked about this Max," Sirius kept his tone even and soft, "you have to be extra brave today, remember?"

He felt Max's head nodding against him.

"And this bed here, this looks like one a king might have, don't you think?"

Max chanced a peek at the bed and dropped his hand from where he'd been sucking his thumb to the top of the comforter.

Sirius hummed, "king Max... that sounds pretty nice buddy. What do you say?"

Max nodded again, and after a brief hesitation, removed himself from Sirius' lap.

"You know every really cool king has a jungle full of animals?" Sirius distracted Max as he watched a nurse prepare and IV. "Here, sit back," he helped Max situate himself properly in the tilted bed, "what animals do you think might be in your jungle, King Max?"

Max giggled loudly, and the nurse took the very opportune time to insert the small needle under the skin on the top of his hand. Taken by surprise, Max glanced quickly to the sharp bit of pain he felt.