6. But don't you get the feeling

Kwang's nose itched. What had his American roommate said about that? Someone must be thinking about him. Kwang sighed and scrolled through the list of cases for the day. The schedule was light because his father demanded he attend the funding event that night. As much as he was tempted, Kwang couldn't load the schedule to miss the function accidentally. His department would be the recipient this time; that's how his father had ensnared him.

But Kwang knew for his father, and this event wasn't just about the money; it was about his son meeting the city's most eligible women. Dr. Ahn Hyun Woo had still not given up hope that his son would marry into Seoul's elite.

His whole life, Kwang had heard about the wonders of marrying into money from his father. Having crawled to the top from nothing, his father wanted more for his son, and Kwang appreciated his father's concerns. Yet, watching the entitled elite act as if they owned the hospital had soured Kwang towards the entire group. A few of the women he had met over the years had been nice, but none had been tempting enough for him to dive into the world of Chaebols and money politics. He was happy just being a doctor, and the operating room or a patient's bedside was where he found the most joy.

Kwang logged out of the schedule and moved over to the scrubbing station. There was a knee that needed some reconstruction. It was time to forget about his father for a while.

"The Heiress of Sun Holdings is returning to Korea," Nurse Tae commented as she dabbed the surgical cloth on the wound to dry it again. Kwang had ignored most of the nurse's gossip for the case, but the mention of Sun Holdings caught his attention. He wasn't sure why the name struck a chord. "They hope that she will save the company. She's a Harvard Business grad and a rising star in the US."

"And we care why?" Kwang asked with a hint of frustration as he finished sewing the skin together. This client was young, so the skin came together easily, but it also meant that the scar needed to be as perfect as possible.

"Because her family is one of the biggest benefactors to this hospital," Jung piped up on the other side of the drape, taking his eyes off his phone for long enough to join the conversation. Was anyone but him paying attention to this surgery? "They practically built the cardiology wing. I bet Bae is salivating for what her arrival in Korea might mean. I hear he once treated her."

"Oh?" Kwang hoped his voice sounded as calm as it should. The pieces had fallen together. He knew who they were talking about now. Jin Lancaster had finally returned to Seoul. Did she remember him? Surely she did, but was it with the same pang in her heart as he felt?

"Dr. Ahn, do you want me to finish up?" Nurse Tae asked as Kwang clipped the last suture. Even distracted, his sewing was still the best. That's why all the athletes wanted him as their surgeon. Not as glamorous as plastic surgery, but at least he got to go to all of the sporting events in Seoul.

"Yes, please. Is this the last one?" Kwang stepped back and allowed the nurse to clean and dress the surgical area while removing his gown and gloves.

"Yes, unless something urgent comes in, but you're not on call, so you should go get ready dinner."

"Right," Kwang agreed and left the room. He trusted his team to finish up and get the patient to recovery. He would just quickly talk to the family then go down to the cafeteria for something to eat before heading home to get ready. The rumbling in his stomach was almost audible now, it had been a long day, and he never did eat well at these fundraising events.

It wasn't until he got home that he allowed himself to think Jin Lancaster again. She hadn't been his patient after the first day, yet he found a reason to visit her every time he was in the hospital. Sometimes, they would talk for hours about their lives and dreams, and other times they would eat in silence as she contemplated her loss.