22. If touching the sky is why we are all reaching, are we missing the point?

"Jin, you look beautiful," Yang declared as he stood and took her hand. The restaurant he had chosen was an upscale French style.

Yang liked to mix things up. Sometimes, he would invite her to try street food; other times, they would eat European. He promised to bring her to some of his favorite places when she arrived in Taiwan for the wedding.

They were still working out the details of where they would live, as he was still running the Li family's holdings in Thailand, and Jin wanted to remain in Korea. It was likely that they would split their time between the two, at least until Yang took over the main business in Taiwan, then Jin would need to move there. Nila had already enrolled Jin in a Mandarin Chinese online learning program. Jin hadn't yet started it, so Yang spoke English with her.

"Thank you, you don't look so bad yourself," Jin responded honestly. Yang, as usual, looked impeccable in his tailored suit. This one was a maroon color and contrasted beautifully with his blue shirt and creamy light brown skin.

Yang pulled out Jin's chair and helped her sit down, waving off the waiter who had been trying to assist.

"How have you been?" He asked politely once they both were seated.

"Well," Jin lied with a smile. "And you?"

"About the same, it seems." Yang's smile dimmed. Jin contemplated asking him what was wrong but didn't feel close enough to him yet. She almost laughed. Jin was engaged to the man but didn't feel close enough to ask him why his smile drooped.

Dinner was filled with small talk about what both were doing at work. Both of them felt the most comfortable when they spoke about their jobs. Yang even became lively, telling a story about one of his associate's mistakes at a recent meeting.

"So, he put all the literature out in English when none of them spoke a word of it?"

"Yes, I couldn't believe it. Brian is usually so careful about things like that." Yang shook his head, and his eyes softened as he said the man's name.

"Brian? Is he English?" It wasn't uncommon in Thailand to have Europeans working in the company.

"No, he's from Taiwan, like me. He came with me when I went to Thailand."

"Oh, like Nila came with me?" Jin prodded, sensing there was more to this story.

"Somewhat," Yang agreed nebulously, then called the waiter for another glass of wine. Jin politely shook her head when the waiter asked her if she wanted one for the fourth time. Yang frowned and looked at the waiter. "I realize you are doing your job, but the woman doesn't drink alcohol. Could you stop asking? It is getting annoying."

It was the first time Jin had seen Yang break his usual complacency. It should have been flattering, but Jin suspected it was more the wine and their discussion about Brian that had unleashed this ire than his need to defend her.

"Yang, it doesn't bother me," Jin assured him, then looked at the waiter. "But he is right. I don't drink alcohol at all. I should have explained that earlier."

The waiter looked horrified and bowed as he apologized profusely.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I don't know what came over me." Yang admitted.

"Brian did," Jin countered. "Who is he to you?"

"A friend," Yang answered.

Jin considered this for a moment, then changed tactics. "Yang, are you happy about this marriage?"

"You are a wonderful woman," Yang began, then paused and took a deep breath. "I am pleased that you are who you are. I have always known my parents would arrange my marriage. You are a better person than I expected them to choose."