Chapter 6

Chapter 6: First Gym.

---

Cinnabar Island, one of the most famous tourist spot in all of Kanto. People visit this place for many reasons, beaches being of the main reason. Cinnabar City, surrounded by vast ocean from all direction making it a perfect place for a vacation. The Island also had a volcano in the centre of it, it was a large mountain with an opening in the top part.

The island was home to one of the strongest gym of Kanto, Blaine, the fire type master. Most trainers never challenge the Cinnabar Gym because it was too hard to conquer. But Ash Ketchum wasn't ready to let hardships conquer him.

Talking about Ash, he and Pikachu had just reached the Island, courtesy of Alakazam's teleportation. The two were in the Pokemon Centre, getting checked into the city. It was mandatory for any trainer to check into the Pokemon Centre everytime they enter a city for security reasons.

"Let's go battle Blaine, Pikachu." Ash says to Pikachu with a smile and an excited expression. "Pika pika!" Pikachu replies with an equal smile. "Let's head to the Gym then." Ash says and brings out his tour book and maps his way to the gym.

Ash kept walking for sometime with Pikachu in tow when he finally found the Gym. It was a large building designed like a miniature volcano. Ash decided to knock on the door. After knocking for sometime Ash waited for a reply. He wasn't disappointed as the door was opened an old bald man. The old man had shoulder length, grey hair in each side and brown eyes. He was wearing an orange hawaiian shirt with a green necklace hung on his neck.

"Hello kid. You here for a gym battle?" The old man asked and Ash could almost hear desperation in his voice. "Yes sir. Are you the gym leader Blaine?"

"Oh yeah! Come on in kid. It's been a while since I have had a gym battle." Blaine says and leads Ash inside the gym towards the battlefield. As they were walking Blaine decided to ask. "So? What's your name?"

"Oh sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Ash Ketchum." Ash apologizes with a sheepish grin. "Ash Ketchum, hmm... Great, come on, the battlefield is right in ahead." Blaine says and hurriedly takes Ash to their destination.

'Isn't he a little bit too excited?' Ash questions himself with a sweatdrop.

"Right here. Come on, come on." Blaine says enthusiastically and shows Ash the ring. It was the classic rectangular field. 'Nothing new.' Ash observes with a critical look. He had seen such rings in TV and was more than eager to battle here.

"Okay. How many badges have you obtained?" Blain questions while enterring his Gym Leader mode. "I-I none!" Ash admits with an embarrassed grin which made Blaine hang his mouth open.

"Huh? Then why are you here kid. You don't know? This gym is one of the strongest is Kanto. You really think you can battle here for 'Fine?" Blaine questions with a disappointed look. Blaine won't lie, he was very excited for this battle, since he hadn't fought a battle in a while cause his beloved Island has become a tourist spot rather than a Gym Town.

Blaine could not explain his disappointment at the moment. He was expecting a nice battle with the kid but all his hopes came crushing down in a second.

"Hold up. Just because I don't have any badge doesn't mean I am weak." Ash snaps with a determined look which made Blaine silent for a while.

After a while, "Fine. Let's battle. It will be a three on three match. Substitutions are allowed for the challenger, however, I can't substitute. You get me?" Blaine says with a sigh.

"Fine with me." Ash says with a confident look. "The gym leader will pick first." Blaine says and throws out a Pokeball while saying, "Go Vulpix."

From the pokeball, a small feline pokemon came out. It is orange in colour and has five tails connected to each other.

Ash adopts a serious look. "Go... Pikachu!" Ash shouts and Pikachu jumps down from Ash's shoulder and runs inside the ring. "Challenger gets the first move." Blaine says and nods to Ash.

"Okay... Pikachu Growl." Ash decides to play safe and tries decreasing Vulpix's stats which seemed to work. "Vulpix, use will-o-wisp." Blaine commands and Vulpix fires off ethereal flames at Pikachu's direction.

"Pikachu use Quick Attack to dodge it." Ash says and Pikachu starts running towards Vulpix while dodging the flame elegantly. "Vulpix use protect." As Blaine said that, green barrier formed in front of Vulpix and Pikachu crashes at it and he gets thrown back from the force of the crash.

"Vulpix, ember while Pikachu is down." Blaine says and Vulpix fires multiple fireballs at Pikachu. The fireballs contacted with Pikachu making him whine from the pain. After the fire died down Pikachu was in the ground panting and exhausted. But Pikachu managed to get back on his feet, albeit, with much difficulty.

Ash grits his teeth as he watch the flame burn Pikachu. 'It doesn't looks like Pikachu can take anymore of those flame, one more shot and he is down.' Ash thinks with a frown.

'So this is what a Gym battle feels like, I have to be more careful from now on.' Ash thinks while adopting a a serious look. Gym battles are much different than other battles, Ash realises and prepares for the hardest match in his life.

Blaine shakes his head and recalls Vulpix into his pokeball making Ash adopt a confused look. "Huh?" Ash mutters a confused tone.

"Why did you recall Vulpix?" Ash questions Blaine. "I did what I must. Tell me Ash Ketchum. How many days have passed since you got your starter?" Blaine questions back.

"I... Uhh... I got my starter yesterday." Ash answers truthfully. "And here you are trying to fight a gym leader in your second day?" Blaine continues questioning Ash. Ash suddenly adopts an understating look which turns into guilt. He didn't even prepare for this Gym Battle, he let himself down, he let Prof. Oak and his mother down. Most importantly, he let his Pokemons down.

"I am not gonna lie, when you first came to my gym, I was pretty exited to battle. Considering the fact that I haven't battled in a while. But, you disappointed me Ash Ketchum. I used a Pokemon I captured just today yet you weren't able to compete against it." Blaine berates Ash. "I will give you one more chance, only ONE chance. After you get your Sixth badge, come meet me in my gym. I'll battle you then. Until that day comes. Don't expect a battle from me." Blaine says and walks away leaving Ash in his place.

Ash was standing in his spot with a big frown in his face. 'How can I let this happen? Did I get too cocky? Why didn't I think of this? I didn't even train my Pokemon for one day and I already decided to challenge one of the strongest gym in Kanto. Why?' Ash thinks as he starts walking out of the Gym with Pikachu following behind him silently.

---

Done...

So, I know you people might have expected a tough fight between Ash and Blaine. But I wanted to give Ash some Character development before he gets a badge. Brock is too weak to give my version of Ash a challenge. So I decided that Blaine would be the person to teach Ash a lesson.

This chapter is lame and short. I don't have much experience in writing so I don't know the exact way to write a proper Character development chapter.

For those who expected a battle between Ash and Blaine. Worry not, you will get it very soon. Sooner than you expect. Thank you for your patience.

-Sannin_Saiyajin

Editor Here: I was expecting a fight but alas all of us have been robbed :")