29 : 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐁𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐋

Screams of excitement flooded my ears as we approached the Lion's den. It was the largest exhibit here at the park and they keep it at the end of the area.
All the children were full of food and drinks and all had used the bathroom and were much happier after the small break.
I was still trying to recover.

I can't believe how stupid and mushy I was being with Y/N in front of everyone. That's the last thing I wanted.
I mean... It was something else doing so in front of adults, but kids? They would probably look at us weird, and the last thing I wanted to do was scare them...
That and I didn't want Y/N to know my desires. Not yet. It wasn't time yet. Not here.

All the kids scrambled as close to the rail as possible to get a look at the Lions below. This area was like a couple others where the enclosure was lower so that there was no way for the animals to escape. The rails were taller though, and made of wood instead of the usual wire fence. The taller kids were able to see just fine, and one by one they all were able to see the large lions. From my spot a few feet back I could see just fine myself, so I didn't care to move closer.

"Mrs. Bee?" I heard a small voice call out. I looked over and saw that a girl was tugging at Y/N's sleeve.

"Yes dear?" she gave the kid her full attention. She leaned over and bent her knees slightly to come closer to the girl.

"I have to go potty again."

Y/N held her hand out and the little girl took it. Standing straight up again, she turned to me.

"I'll be right back."

I nodded and she walked away towards the bathrooms. I watched her for a moment, studying the sight of her with a child again. It looked so natural. She and the baby combo.

Shaking off my strange thoughts I went back to watching the lions walk around. A tiny figure standing off to the side though caught my eye. I looked down at saw that the boy Luke was standing off to the side, staring at the kids in front of him. Hmm. I guess he didn't know what to do with Y/N not there to guide him. Wasn't his favorite animal the lion? Yeah, it was the same as mine.

Could he even see over all the commotion? He was so small and looked so pathetic. I think that even if he were to make it to the front somehow he would still be too short to see over the wooden fence. I know he wasn't too fond of me, but maybe I could help him out.

As he looked ahead at the fence and kids, I walked to him and bent over, throwing my hands under his arms. His eyes instantly looked to me, the large beast that I was and went wide. A small gasp escaped his lips as I quickly lifted him up above my head and carefully placed him on my shoulders.
His hands clung to my head instantly in fear causing me to wince at his nails in my hair.

"Calm down, Luke. You can see better from up here. Look-"

I tried to get his attention as I pointed towards the den. I of course couldn't see if he was catching on, but I took it as a good sign when his nails loosened up and he leaned forward a bit as if to get a even better look.

☼︎☼︎☼︎☼︎

Y/N's POV:

There, another bathroom trip. Once I got within sight of everyone, Maya quickly let go of my hand and raced to be with everyone else. I giggled at her reaction.
A squeal from a little boy stopped me in my tracks.

I lost all thoughts as I heard and saw the most precious sound in all the world. That and the numbing sound of my heart beating into my ears. Or trying to beat out of my chest. I couldn't figure out which.