Chapter 15

*** Kerry P.O.V ***

We all waited as the engineer tried to regain his breath. “Calm down and take a deep breath.” Pike ordered calmly. Bones walked back in, resuming his standing position by the wall. The engineer nodded, finally able to speak. “Sir, a few minutes ago before losing power we discovered a strange signal. We know now that is was two Lozmar ships approaching rapidly. I think-“ He was interrupted by one last vibration which made the ship creak under pressure. “What is that?” Pike asked, directing it at Chekov. “I do not know Keptain, it sounded like we are being boarded, zough I cannot be sure.” I looked over worryingly at Bones, we already had enough problems. “Um, Sir? We have a problem.” “What is it now?” Pike sighed in annoyance. “The scanner has detected five extra life forms, alien origin.” “That means we have been boarded, the Lozmar are here.” Suddenly Captain Pike began giving out orders, taking the situation rather calmly considering. I tried making my way to the door but ended up falling against the wall, pain radiating throughout my chest. “Kerry?” Chekov asked worried, placing a hand on my shoulder. “I-I’m fine. I n-need to get my gun.” I managed to spit out, making my way along the wall. “But vhy?” He asked, following me as I made my way to the transporter room. “Because. If the ship has lost power then your p-phasers most likely have also. M-My gun has b-bullets.” Chekov placed both hands on my shoulders keeping me still. “I’ll go get it, vhere is it?” “In the Doctors coat p-pocket, he left it in the t-transporter room.” I stuttered, the pain coursing through me. Chekov nodded and dashed away in the direction of the transporter room. Pain racked my body and I slid down the wall, sitting slumped on the floor. The ship continued to shudder, creaking and straining. Chekov reappeared around the corner, cradling the familiar black object in his hands. “T-Thank you.” I gasped, taking the gun from his hands. Hauling myself to my feet I half stumbled, half walked back to the bridge. Walking in I immediately fell to the floor, Chekov kneeling by my side. Waving away his help I stumbled over to the captain’s chair, sitting on the ground and leaning against it. I cradled the gun in my lap, determined that no one would get hurt. “Sir! We’ve got an incoming transmission, it’s the other Lozmar ship.” One of the engineers cried, looking panicked. “Bring it up.” The screen flickered into life as Captain Pike moved to face it, standing tall. “This is Captain Pike of the USS Enterprise. You will identify yourselves immediately.” The yellow scaled alien seemed to grin, though it was hard to tell. “We are the Lozmar and we have boarded your vessel. You will surrender to us or be taken prisoner!” Everyone stared on in shock, the alien had spoken English. “Why did you not speak English before?” Captain Pike questioned, asking what was on everyone’s mind. The alien frowned, though once again I couldn’t be sure what it was doing. “Pah! I would not disrespect my mouth by using your horrible language!” This confused people even more, but made things a whole lot clearer for me. “Oh.” Chekov turned to look at me, confusion evident on his face. Beckoning him over I whispered quietly in his ear. “The TARDIS t-translates any language, that’s w-why we can understand t-them.” I imagined a light bulb appear above his head as he nodded, relaying this message to Pike, who returned his focus on addressing the Lozmar. “What is it that you want?” “Your surrender! You and your whole crew will surrender or face the consequences. Our troops have boarded you but are on standby unless you fail to co-operate!” “You do realise you’re breaking clause 18 of Galactic Law 3 thereby invoking us the right to use force to eliminate you.” If I wasn’t in so much pain I might have laughed, we had no power and no weapons or defences. “Hah! You have no means of doing so. Last chance, do you surrender?” “No.” Pike answered simply, holding his gaze. “Then we shall take you by force!” And with that the screen cut out, leaving the room stunned in silence. “Right.” Pike muttered, faltering for only a second. “Take defensive positions, we shall defend the bridge.” The crew began taking positions, grabbing anything they could use as a weapon. Pike then turned to Chekov. “You better get our systems back online, and fast.” “Yes Sir.” Chekov rushed over to the main circuit panel, setting to work immediately. Pike then activated the comms. “All those not capable of fighting will retreat to their cabins immediately, and lock themselves in. You will wait there until you receive further instructions.” I moved over next to Chekov, sitting next to him. “Vhat are you doing? You should go.” “Someone has to watch your back.” I grinned despite the pain, aiming my gun at the door. “Kerry-“ “Don’t argue. Please. Just work on getting us power back, I’ll be dead soon anyway.” I could see he wanted to say something but I shook my head and he looked away, returning to his work as Uhura came over to help. All in all there were 10 people in the bridge, myself, Chekov, Bones, Uhura, Pike, Scotty and four officers; we had a very slim chance if any. Pike looked at me, displeasure and worry on his face. “What are you still doing here Miss Forth?” “Watching Chekov’s back and besides, I’m the only one here with a real weapon. Will that door hold?” “It’s dead locked sealed, there’s no way their getting in.” I wish I shared his confidence. Suddenly loud noises came from the other side of the door, but it didn’t budge. A smile appeared on my face, we might just be able to do it. My smile vanished as sparks began to fly from the edge around the door. I turned to Pike who wore a grim expression. “They’re cutting the bolts. They’re coming in.” Tension filled the room as one by one the bolts were slowly cut from the other side of the door. I raised my gun, praying I would survive long enough to protect the others.