Chapter 17

*** Kerry P.O.V ***

“Chekov.” I whispered, lifting my head up. “Yes?” “When the Doctor arrives, tell him that it’s not his fault. Promise me you’ll tell him that.” “You’re going to be fine.” I laughed, moving to sit next to him. “No. Not with this poison coursing through my veins. It’s funny, really. I never imagined I would die in space.” Just as Chekov was about to protest the door shuddered. “Vhat is that?” “The last Lozmar, it’s found us.” I gasped, hauling myself to my feet. I shuffled towards the door, placing myself against it. “Vhat are you doing?” Before I could reply the door suddenly burst open, flinging me straight into one of the consoles. “Kerry!” I groaned as Chekov yelled, the room beginning to spin. Struggling to my knees I looked up, pain radiating in my head. Chekov was struggling with the Lozmar, and losing quickly. Looking around I saw two things that I could use, my gun and an electrical pipe that was split in two, sparks flying out of each end. “Hey! You ugly yellow freak! How about an easy target!” I yelled, throwing my gun at its head. It spun its gaze to look at me, completely forgetting about Chekov. “This better work.” I muttered as the Lozmar menacingly advanced towards me. As it got closer I knelt down, grabbing the two ends of the pipe. “Kerry! NO!” “Allonsy my Russian friend!” I yelled, charging at the alien, pipes connecting with its chest. I felt a sharp jolt and agonizing pain as everything went black.

*** Doctor P.O.V ***

“Careful Doctor, I don’t want to crash before we even get there.” Kirk shouted, grabbing onto anything to keep his balance. “Don’t worry. We’re almost there!” The Doctor cheered, steering the escape shuttle towards the Enterprise. “I wonder what happened to the other ship?” Kate muttered, coping fine with the Doctor’s manic driving. “It seems only logical that having failed in attempt to subdue the crew, the remaining ship made the decision to pull back.” “Let’s hope so Spock, let’s hope so. Connect the shuttle there Doctor.” Kirk pointed out. Nodding the Doctor steered the shuttle towards the docking station. “Here we are. Quickly, let’s go!” They followed the Doctor as he ran towards the bridge. They were mildly concerned to find the door had been broken off but focused on the more pressing matters. Rushing into the bridge they found it in a state of chaos. Dead Lozmar were scattered around the room, and most of the consoles were broken. Pike and Uhura were helping two engineers to their feet, with another two unconscious on the ground, while Bones was fussing over a clearly injured Scotty. “Get off, man!” Pike finally noticed the new arrivals and sighed, a faint smile appearing on his face. “Ah, Doctor, Kirk, so glad you could re-join us. I assume you were successful?” Kate and Spock were immediately roped in to help carry the wounded crew members to the medical bay. “Yes Sir, where is Kerry?” Kirk asked while helping Scotty to his feet. “Last I saw she went with Chekov to the engine room, she was determined to protect him while he tried to restore power.” “Just like Kerry, cop instincts taking over.” The Doctor grinned, scanning some of the consoles with his sonic screwdriver. “These consoles should be easy enough to fix once we have power again.” After deciding Scotty was sufficiently okay to stand by himself, Bones hurried over to the Doctor. “We have to move now Doctor, she doesn’t have long left by my estimates.” The urgency in his voice was clear as The Doctor and Kirk followed Bones down to the engine room. Crew members were slowly beginning to emerge from their rooms, curios about what had happened to everyone else. The Doctor went ahead, finding the door blown clear off and another dead Lozmar outside.  Rushing in his eyes were immediately drawn to the body of Matthew, he almost looked as if he was sleeping. “Doctor.”

*** Kirk P.O.V ***

Just like the Doctor my eyes were glued to Matthew’s body, I couldn’t look away. “Doctor.” We all turned to the source of the whisper, not having even glanced around before. I gasped as my brain fully registered what was happening. Chekov was sat on the floor, cradling Kerry in his arms; she was as pale as a ghost and not moving. The Doctor stood there, frozen. Bones leapt into action, kneeling down at her side, placing his fingers on the side of her neck. “No pulse, damnit!” Bones growled, running his hand through his hair. “Lay her down, Chekov. Now!” Reluctantly Chekov gently placed Kerry on the floor, keeping hold of her hand before Bones pushed him aside. “What happened?” I demanded, helping the unsteady Chekov to his feet. As he explained the Doctor remained worryingly still. “Doctor, she vanted me to say that it’s not your fault, not your fault.” Chekov stuttered, tears streaming down his face. This snapped the Doctor out of his state, rummaging through his pockets. “Bones, what do you need to make this ingestible for her?” He held up the small lump of carbon, a determined look in his eyes. “It needs to be melted into a liquid so she can swallow it. But it doesn’t matter unless we can start her heart again.” He passed the lump to me, a grin appearing on his face. “Hold this. And you hold on Miss Forth, because you are not dying on me today, you hear me? Not today! Allonsy!” He rushed out the room, the coat flaps trailing behind him.

“Kirk, hold that steady!” The Doctor had returned with an array of objects and what looked like some kind of defibrillator, and was now in the process of liquefying the carbon. Meanwhile Bones was prepping Kerry, attaching the defibrillator to her chest. “Right, hold that there and let it turn to liquid.” He ordered, then focusing on Kerry. The Doctor took the defibrillator from Bones, rubbing the paddles together. “Here we go. Clear!” Kerry jolted and her back arched as god knows how many volts coursed through her body. Nothing, she remained still. “Come on Kerry, come on!” The Doctor yelled, pressing the paddles against her chest again.