Chapter 16

***Kerry P.O.V***

There were two bolts left on the door, and Chekov still hadn’t got the power back up. All too sudden the door flew off its hinges, smoke quickly filling the room. I fired off three shots at the blurs visible in the smoke, killing two of the Lozmar and the other shot going wide, meaning there were only three Lozmar left. A wave of pain racked through me and I dropped the gun, falling sideways. “Damn.” I snarled through gritted teeth. Looking around I saw all of the officers had been knocked unconscious. Pike was wrestling with one Lozmar, trying to yank the gun from its grasp. Bones was trying to protect an unconscious Scotty from another Lozmar. I managed to grab my gun and sit up, trying to locate the third Lozmar in all the confusion. Suddenly Uhura was sent flying as the third Lozmar swiped her away, walking menacingly towards Chekov and I. “Chekov! Get to the engine room. NOW!” Pike yelled while still struggling with the alien intruder. Chekov sprang to his feet, hauling me up and dragging me out of the room. As we ran down the corridor pain and adrenaline surged through me, and I somehow managed to keep going. Turning around I took aim at the pursing Lozmar and fired, hitting it square in the chest. It collapsed to the floor in a heap and we kept running. Stumbling into the engine room Chekov closed the door and I collapsed in a heap on the floor. “Chekov. Get. That power. Back on.” I said in ragged breaths, sitting and leaning against one of the consoles. Once again I took aim at the door, two bullets left for two Lozmar; I couldn’t afford to miss.

***Tenstorm Overview***

“Got it!” The Doctor yelled triumphantly, re-joining the group and holding a small black lump in his hands. “That’s it? You’re sure?” “Yep, 100%, well 99.999999% sure. Well, almost 99.999999%. Well, I say almost-” “Doctor!” Kirk yelled, anxious to get on with it. “Okay, I’m sure. Let’s go!” The group quickly returned to the storage area, that was their safest hiding spot. The group sat on the floor, except for Kate who stood guard. “Right, any ideas on how to get back to the the Enterprise?” Kirk asked, although he didn’t really expect an answer. “The only logic option is to wait until the Enterprise regains power and is able to beam us aboard.” Spock said, with his usual sense of un-relenting calm. “Oh come Spock, think!” The Doctor exclaimed, jumping to his feet. “This is their base, correct?” Kirk nodded, not really sure of where it was going. “Then that means they must have spare parts and junk lying around and maybe, oh I don’t know, a broken escape shuttle which I might just be able to fix.” “What?” Kate and Kirk exclaimed at the same time. “While I was scrolling through that terminal earlier I noticed there’s a scrap yard joined to this building. Come on.” The Doctor took off at a sprint, his long coat flapping behind him.

*** Kerry P.O.V ***

I kept my aim firmly on the door, gritting my teeth as pain continued to course though my body. “How is it going?” I choked out, breathing through my nose. “Almost there, just hold on.” I smiled sadly, there was no way I was getting out of this alive, but at least I could keep Chekov safe. “Chekov, I’m not going to survive this encounter.” He went to protest but I held up a hand to silence him. “It’s true, but there’s no way I’m going down without a fight. So anything that comes through this door is getting its brains blown out.” Standing up I remained on my feet, my last act of defiance. Suddenly the door opened and I let off a shot. Luckily I missed, because it was Matthew who came through the door. “Damn, watch where you’re shooting!” I hadn’t seen Matthew since our desert expedition. I growled, now I only had one bullet left for two Lozmar. Lowering my guy I looked over at Chekov, who was still working to restore the power. “You idiot! Don’t you know what’s going on?” He went to reply but gasped, his eyes widening in shock. He fell to the ground, to reveal a Lozmar standing behind him, bloodied knife in hand. It had stabbed Matthew in the back. Without thinking I raised my gun again and fired, hitting it dead centre between the eyes. “Headshot.” I whispered quietly, my eyes fixed to Matthew’s dead corpse. Shuffling I kicked the Lozmar corpse out of the room and closed the door. Then I dragged Matthews’s body away from the door, laying him down and placing his arms on his chest. Chekov looked at me as I began to barricade the door using anything. “Kerry.” “Just keep working, please.” I begged, throwing my now empty gun away in frustration. After the door was barricaded to the best of my ability I collapsed in a heap next to Chekov, who was wearing a grim expression. “I cannot do it, I need more time.” “Then, we wait for someone to rescue us. The Doctor won’t abandon us.” I couldn’t hold them back any longer, I let the tears fall. I felt Chekov wrap his arms around me and I buried my head into his chest. All we could do was wait for our fate to be decided.