Chapter Twenty One

"Do you think I should tell my moms or not?" Roan asked.

"..."

"I don't like keeping things from them but Kai is here so often and I know they'll get all.. I don't know. Just overbearing. I guess? I think it's best to wait till we move to New York, I can tell them then." Roan sighed.

"..."

"But what do I even tell them? It's not like Kai and I are dating. We're just best friends.. who kiss and fuck and," Roan groaned, "Will we even keep this up when we move to New York? What if he decides he's straight and wants to put a stop to it all?"

"..."

"I mean, it is possible. He's never shown interest in guys before so what if this is just a phase and I'm the only person available?" Roan ran a hand through his hair as he paced back and forth in his room, "I know I shouldn't think this way but it's hard not to when he just.. When he still insists that he's straight and doesn't want to define what we are."

"..."

"You know I don't really care for labels much but some clarity would be good because I do.. I do really like him.. that way," Roan took in a deep breath, "Maybe life was simpler before all this happened."

"..."

"But I also wouldn't change it for the world." Roan admitted.

"..."

"Why won't you say anything?" Roan turned in frustration.

"Meow." Frisbee jumped off the bed before running out the room.

"Of course you don't care." Roan narrowed his eyes at his indifferent cat.

It was now the weekend after their football match, which proved to be their last. They lost by a small margin, and it marked the end of their season. The good news was that Vaughn was out of the hospital and his doctor said he would be good to go on the trip after a week.

Parker had happily planned everything already, and everyone in the team was excited for it despite them losing the match. A part of Roan was glad that he could now use the time that was spent in football practices to study more for his finals. And another part of him hung onto the fact that highschool was almost over and he won't play a match ever game. Atleast with the same team.

He was ready to move on, but also wanted to hold on. It was a mixed bittersweet feeling.

Roan decided to distract himself for the time being by playing a game on his laptop. After an hour or so, he was checking his socials and emails while listening to music when the room of his door opened and Kai walked in, immediately plopping himself on Roan's bed.

"What's up buttercup?" Kai asked.

"Checking my mails." Roan hummed without looking at Kai.

"Anything interesting?"

"Maybe."

"Tell me." Kai sat up straight as he looked at his best friend in anticipation.

"I applied for this internship," Roan paused, "I didn't think I would get it but I thought there was no harm in trying."

"And?"

"I got it." Roan finally turned to face Kai.

"That's my boy!" Kai grinned, "When does it start?"

"Summer before we start college," Roan continued, "It's in New York."

"Oh," Kai looked a little taken aback, "We can always just move there sooner. Actually, I think it'll be for the better. Will give us time to explore the city before college starts."