Chapter Thirty Four

"Do you want me to come over?" Roan asked.

"Nah, it'll be fine. We'll meet tomorrow for breakfast at Dina's?" Kai replied.

The two boys had returned from New York just a few hours ago for the holidays. Lucia had picked both of them up from the airport, and had dropped Kai off to his house on the way.

Even though Roan had told his moms about dating Kai over call a while back, Kai had kept it from his. He hadn't yet told them that he was gay, since he didn't want to do it over the phone but in person instead. It was almost dinner time, and Roan had called Kai just to make sure that he wasn't scared or worried.

"Yeah, cool. But are you sure you're okay?" Roan asked again.

Even though he didn't have to do it, but he knew that coming out can be very hard with family. He did come out in school, but frankly it wasn't very hard for him simply because he didn't care what others thought of him. He only cared about his moms and Kai, and they all already knew it.

He asked Kai over and over again if the boy wanted Roan to be there with him when he tells his parents, but Kai said he wanted to do this on his own. Which Roan respected.

"Yes you worry wart, I'm fine. A little nervous maybe, but I guess that's to be expected? But really, I'm okay. They know you and they love you, so.." Kai said.

"Let me know how it goes, yeah?"

"Ofcourse sweetie, I gotta go now. Mom's calling for dinner." Kai said, and Roan could hear him getting up.

"Bye honey, I love you." Roan replied.

"Love you more. Bye."

Roan hung up the call after that as he got up and headed downstairs to the kitchen. Betty scolded him, telling him to go watch television or something and relax, but the blonde insisted on helping out. Once the food was ready and the table was set, they all dug in.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Roan asked as he noticed Betty looking at him, not eating her dinner.

"You're just.. so grown up," Betty paused, "You've already moved out and then you'll finish college and get a job then you won't even have vacations and we'll just meet once a year on Christmas—"

"Woah, what brought this on?" Roan was slightly taken aback at Betty's rant.

"You're just growing up too fast!" Betty said.

"And we're very proud of the man you've become." Lucia added.

"Man? He was a little boy just yesterday!" Betty cried out.

"He'll always be that for us, Bets." Lucia tried to sooth her wife.

"But.. but he has a beard now!" Betty protested.

"It's barely a stubble, I don't think he can even grow a beard." Lucia said.

"Remember when we were watching videos on how to shave so that we could help him out his first time and he—"

"Are you women aware that I'm right here?" Roan deadpanned, "Besides, don't worry about the stubble, I just didn't have the time to shave this morning."

"One day he forgets to shave and the next day he'll forget to call us and after that it'll just be like—" Betty was cut off by Roan.

"Mother, I don't think that's how the natural progression of things go," Roan sighed, "Also, Kai won't let me keep a beard. He says white blonde men should always remain clean shaven."

"Okay but has he seen Chris Evans?" Lucia asked.

"Or Hemsworth?" Betty furrowed her brows.

"Ask him when you see him." Roan shrugged, "Can you pass me the mashed potatoes?"