Chapter Thirty Six

question : how did you come up with your username? I was watching supernatural when I chose mine

***

"Can you go over the code once?" Roan asked Kingsley, who looked up from his laptop and at the blonde before nodding.

A few months ago Roan had an idea for an app, he never really thought much about it, until recently when he told Kai what was on his mind. Kai was the initial push that Roan needed to get started. He had been learning how to code since highschool, though he wasn't an expert. But Kingsley was studying computer science, so he asked the boy for help.

Kingsley agreed, waving it off dismissively when Roan thanked him, saying that he was only doing it to keep his mind off his ex. But Roan knew that Kingsley was being a good friend.

With Kingsley's help, Roan was almost done with the work. If things went according to plan, he could launch the app in less than a month's time. The blonde had been spending most of his free time working on this project. He usually worked either at the library or over at Kingsley's penthouse since it was more spacious.

Roan was previously working part time at a retail store too, but Kai encouraged him to quit the job so that he could give more time to his project. Instead, Kai picked up a few extra shifts at the bookstore to help out. And since he had comparatively more free time now that his boyfriend was this busy.

"Yeah, this is good," Kingsley replied once he went through Roan's work, "Should we call it a night?"

"It's like seven." Roan said.

"Yeah well, I have to be out tonight so you gotta fuck off." Kingsley stated, making Roan raise a questioning brow.

"You have friends apart from me?" Roan asked, an amused smile on his face, "Or is it a date?"

"It's not a date." Kingsley muttered.

"Sure. Keep your secrets." Roan got up from the recliner as he started packing his things.

"It's not a date!" Kingsley repeated, "Just some people from my class. Or whatever."

"Alright son, don't forget to be home before your curfew." Roan said.

"I would kick you but I don't want Kai going all psycho boyfriend after me for hurting his bae." Kingsley replied.

"Did you just say bae? What is it? 2014?" Roan retorted.

"That's it. I'm coming after you now." Kingsley stated as he got ready to get up from the couch.

"Who among the two of us is a football player and goes to the gym five days a week?" Roan asked, and Kingsley sat back down.

"Who among us has rich parents and can hire a professional hitman and get away with it if caught?" Kingsley smirked.

"Who among us is friends with a kick-ass prosecutor and has two overbearing moms that will definitely hunt down whoever hurts their son?"

"Who among—"

"Okay enough. I'm leaving now."

"Bring beer the next time you come over!" Kingsley yelled as Roan walked towards the door.

Roan took the subway back to his apartment. He quite liked taking the subway on most days, it gave him time to think. It was like being alone but also not completely by yourself. On other days just being around so many people was annoying.

Roan was about to take out his keys to unlock the door, but he noticed that the lights were on inside. Kai wasn't supposed to be back home until eight, so Roan furrowed his brows as he opened the unlocked door.