Episode 26: Game Over

I could hear thunder mixed with the sound effects from the game Ben and I were playing "I'm so bored!  Even your stupid video game sounds good. Let me play." Gwen says "Sorry, I already have a partner." Ben says, nudging my side. I brush him off, focusing on my character as she jumps over the ledge.

My avatar takes down one of the Robo-Sumos with ease. "Is she ok? I've never seen her be this quiet..." Gwen states "Kick! Sumo Slam! Jump!-Yeah she's fine. Y/N just gets hyper-focused on the game. She's almost just as good as me." Ben says. My avatar throws his off of the bridge "Wh-hey!" Ben huffs, shooting a light glare at me. I grin at him widely "Aw don't worry, I'll give you my extra life...I have stored up like 3 of those things." I tease, Ben huffs.

"See," Ben says as I give him his life back "So why would we want to play with you?" Ben asks "To prove you're not afraid of getting your sumo butts kicked by a rookie." Gwen teases. I pause the game "There's a third controller in Benji's bag." I tell her, not taking my eyes off the screen

~💚~

Player 3: G W E N....

NEW HIGH-SCORE

"Oh yeah! High score for the Gwen-Warrior!" Gwen cheers, I stare at the screen with a dropped jaw "Ha! Beginner's luck," Ben scoffs with a determined smile "Now, watch some real Sumo Slammer Samurais." "Benji, wait, no that's-" Ben runs into a trap set by Kenko...

Gwen laughs "Look who's getting his butt kicked by Kenko the shape shifter! Careful, you only have two lives left and Y/N only has one life left, so don't expect her to help." Gwen teases before Ben snatches the controller out Gwen's hands. Her avatar falls off the edge. I fight back a laugh. "Ben! No fair!" Gwen shouts "Careful, you only have one life left!" Ben mocks, I actually let out a laugh at that. Gwen shoots me a grumpy look.

"Guys, please!"

We all go quiet, "I'm trying to grab some shuteye here." Max groans from his bunk. "Sorry, Grandpa." Gwen says, pulling down her headphones "Yeah, sorry." I say before Ben turns into Upgrade. Gwen and I turn to him, watching Ben morph into the game. He lowers Gwen's points to zero and gives him self an extra life "Ben Tennyson, you are such a cheater!" Gwen shouts. I put a force field around Max so he wouldn't hear us. "You're gonna get your one of these days!" Gwen says, I watch her shake the game. There was a purple flash before everything went dark

I open my eyes to see I was in my avatar's outfit. Gwen appears beside me, "Whoa...what happened?" Ben asks "That big lightning flash must have zapped Upgrade and we wound up in the video game." Gwen gasps. Ben and I look around "We're inside 'Sumo Slammer Smackdown?" Ben asks in awe "Looks like it." Gwen sighs "COOL!" Ben and I cheer excitedly, hopping up and down.

Gwen gasps as a shadow looms over us, "Not for long!" She says. I look up to see one of the ships over above us, it shoots out Robo-Sumos for us to fight "Robo-Sumos? That is so level one. We beat that in like...6 minutes." Ben states. The boss music starts playing and one of the Robo-Sumos rams into Ben. Ben morphs into it, short circuiting it. Ben hops from Robo-Sumo to Robo-Sumo.

I levitate one into the air, smashing it into another one. Gwen takes a few down herself, "This isn't a challenge, it's a slaughter-fest." Ben laughs "Oh yeah, real tough when you can control the whole game world as Upgrade." Gwen scoffs "Jealous?" Ben says, he stops a Robo-Sumo from sneak attacking me...