〚𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖〛countdowns and conversations

𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲: y/n's first fight against a classmate looms...

"What.."

You didn't think whiplash was a strong enough word.

"What the hell are you guys wearing?" You asked as you walked into the arena, fresh off a terrible trip down memory lane and spotted the girls in your class dressed in gaudy cheerleading outfits.

All of them groaned, you caught a few irritated words. "Mineta and Kaminari" and "Tricked".

"Do you want me to deal with them?" You offered shooting a terrifying glare at the two.

Kaminari waved his arms. "Hey I didn't mean anything!... We're friends please don't murder me." Mineta on the other hand decided to abandon him and book it, probably still remembering that you'd thrown him into the ground during the battle trial for less.

You rolled your eyes but made an "I'm watching you" gesture at Kaminari who leaned back further, nervously.

"Have fun competing in these little side games, everyone! After they're over, the 16 students from the top four teams will be duking it out one‐on‐one in a tournament‐style fighting competition!" You winced. Your luck had run out apparently. "I promise you're not gonna wanna miss these epic match ups!"

Contrary to your sour mood, Kirishima seemed excited. "Aw, yeah. Finally getin' the chance to show what we're made of. I watch these finals every year, and now I'm actually in them!" If you weren't in such an awful mood you might have smiled at his contagious enthusiasm.

"Come closer and draw lots to see who you're up against! Then enjoy the pleasure of the recreational games before we start. The 16 finalists have the option of participating in those activities or sitting out to prepare for battle. I'm sure you all want to conserve your stamina."

Wait...

16?

"Since Team Shinsou only had two members," You tried to ignore the stares that felt like they were burning into you. You were about to raise your hand and withdraw then-

" If you're not doing your best then you're just wasting everyone's time."

You hated to say but... He was right. Everyone else was trying their best. But fighting was not an option. But maybe you could try? You could try and learn and hell, maybe you could help your classmates look more amazing.

"We'll have to move up two students from the fifth‐place cavalry team so we have enough contestants..."

"We were frozen most of the time." The seeming leader of the fifth-place team confessed. "Honestly, we barely did anything in the cavalry battle. Isn't that right?" The other members of the team agreed. "You should choose from the group that kept fighting the whole time. Team Tetsutetsu."

Huh... That was honest.

It was... Selfless.

And made you feel awful about your rather selfish desire to fight and you nearly withdrew then and there.

After a quick back-and-forth they actually decided to move up Kirishima's silver clone and the girl with vine hair from another team

"Take a look at the bracket, my dears. These are your opponents!" Midnight announced after everyone had drawn lots.

Your gaze wandered across the screen as you shoved your hands in your pockets to avoid anyone seeing how much they were shaking.

SAITAMA v. ASHIDO