Chapter 10: Eric?

335 reads!! Thanks so much!! It's getting interesting: keep reading!!

I wake with a pounding headache. Mia is shaking me awake, she is dressed, groomed, bathed, and ready for today's initiation training. 

"Andi! Come on! You need to get up we're going to be late."

I grumble darkly as I swing my legs over the banister of the bunk-bed and jump down. The shock of landing does nothing for my headache, but makes it worse, raising it from a faint thud to a prominent pound. I grab some clothing from the drawers beside my bunk and head to the shower. I know I'm going to be late by a quick glance at the clock. 7:50AM. And I haven't eaten breakfast yet. I walk to the sinks in the bathroom, decided quickly that I'm not going to have time to shower. When I see the mirror, I get a shock.

My hair.

My hair is gone. My long wavy blonde locks have been replaced by a messy pixie cut. I don't remember what happened yesterday. I wrack my brains, but I only remember...

Amar. He threw knifes at me. And I drank a lot of alcohol. Just great. I brush my teeth vigorously, trying to get the alcohol stink out of my mouth. I slip on my clothes, not bothering to cover myself as I'm one of the only people left in the dorm. Me. Eric. And Four.

I run into the dorm and shoot another glance at the clock. 5 more minutes. Eric sits on the bed next to Four's, tying his shoelaces. Ignoring Eric, who shoots me a flashy smile and makes a comment about my hair, I shake Four awake.

"Four! We have 5 minutes! Wake up."

He wakes up just like I did – confused with a pounding headache. I toss him some clothes and glare at Eric who makes a comment again. Four needs to get better. He has a fight with Eric today, and the way he's looking, it's not going to be tough competition. Eric looks back at me smugly his shirt is black, but it makes his eyes look even better. He has a piercing through his lip which is still red – probably a new one.

Wait. Why did I notice that? No. Stop that Candice- Andi. You can't notice that.

I rush to my shoes, banging my head in the process of bending down which adds to my headache. If Four has a headache anywhere near how bad I do there is no way he's winning this. I tie my shoes as tight as I can manage – which isn't very tight – and call Four again. We're the only two people in the room, and we have exactly 60 seconds.

I grab two protein bars Mia must have left on my bunk, hand both to him, and we rush out of the dorm.

Dauntless isn't a great place to be late. There are winding tunnels that all look the exact same and zero signs. Of course, on the one day that you are late, there has to be a dozen parties going on between you and your destination. Four and I are covered in bits of cake, balloons, mud, and a fluid of some sort, that I'm desperately hoping is water, when we arrive at the training center – 5 minutes late.

"Nice of you both to finally join us." Amar says, motioning for us to come and join group of transfers in front of him. We look at him, and then scurry over to the group.

There are three fights today.

Eric and Four

Mia and Jack

Sean and Austin

The rest of us don't have anything to do, which I am secretly glad of. I can't afford to miss any of three fights, so I stand and watch as Amar starts the first fight between Mia and Jack. I see Jack whisper something inaudible to Mia which causes a blush to creep into her cheeks. They both have gotten really close over the past few days. It's nice to see.