Chapter 27: Rankings and Making Up

Hey guys!!! Another Chapter! The book is coming to an end soon, so glad to have seen it progress so much.

Chapter 27: Rankings and Making up

I sit up in the fear landscape room gasping for breath. I made it through. I made it through all my fears. I slowly make my way out of the booth and through the crowds around me. Tori gives me a big smile and a thumbs up. I did it. All the initiates who have finished wait in the transfer dormitory for the results, so that's where I go. Four finished just before me, I believe, so I should be able to catch him on the way. Sure enough, midway to the dorms, I see Four. I run up to him and grab him from behind squealing in his ears.

"We did it! We're done!"

He turns around and smiles at me. We look at each other for a moment, both eternally happy that the mental torture has finished. The rankings are still pending, but it still comes as quite a relief to have finished the last stage of initiation. Following the rankings tonight, we will officially be members of Dauntless.

"This is the happiest I've seen you in weeks and the rankings aren't even out yet." He remarks, earning a playful smack in the arm by me as we resume our journey to the transfer dorms.

Shauna and Zeke whoop when we walk in, making me laugh once again. We walk in, Four sitting on the edge of his bed and I following his lead taking a seat on his bed and crossing my legs, taking his pillow on my lap. Shauna has Eric's pillow on hers, something which he won't be happy about. But then again, there is so very little he actually is happy about, so it shouldn't really matter.

"How'd it go?" Zeke asks Four and I, leaning into Shauna.

"It was okay. Scary, but I managed." I say, truthfully.

"Fine," Four says shrugging from beside me, "No surprises. How was yours?"

"Awful, but I made it out alive," Zeke replies, shrugging his shoulders. "Shauna got some new ones, though."

"I handled it." Shauna says, her exaggerated nonchalance showing that she thought it was much more than fine, making me laugh.

"Yeah, Yeah." Zeke responds.

Shauna smacks him with the pillow, right in the face. He snatches it from her.

"What do you want me to say? Yes, you were awesome. Yes, you're the best Dauntless ever. Happy?" He hits her in the shoulder with the pillow. "She's been bragging nonstop since we started the fear sims because she's better at them than I am. It's annoying."

"It's just revenge for how much you bragged during combat training," she says. "'Did you see that great hit I got right in the beginning?' Blah, blah, blah."

She pushes him, and he grabs her wrists. She breaks free and flicks his ear, and they're laughing, fighting. I smirk, looking at Four. I may be struggling with figuring out my feelings, my affection, and how to show it in completely new surroundings, but I know flirting when I see it. The two clearly like each other. I look over at Four, and by his face I know he sees it too.

I lean over to him and whisper. "Looks like we have a new operation to work on."

"We just need to figure out what to name it." He says, smiling back at me.

+++

We wait there in the dorms for an hour as the rest of the initiates trickle in after finishing their test. The last to come in is Eric, who stands their smugly until we lock eyes. His smile drops at my gaze.

"We- We've got to get the rankings. Now." He says, rubbing the back of his neck, suddenly nervous.

Shauna, Zeke and I exit, Four muttering something that I can't quite hear about why he has to stay behind.