Chapter 13: Capture the Flag

444 reads!! Really late update... So sleepy. I'm not editing it. So sorry for any errors...

"Okay. So y'all heard Amar. Just plan. Strategize. Whatever floats your boat. I wanna win this thing, so better be good." Lauren looks back at us and glares at me, as though I would be the reason for this year's loss. We haven't even started yet, and she's decided I'm not an asset.

We're walking through an old pier of sorts, decked with abandoned shops and games that looked fun once upon a time. It's dark so we're practically stumbling around having no plan whatsoever. IN the distance I see a large round wheel. It's high up in the air and as little baskets hanging from it. Even from far, I can see that it's rusted and far beyond repair.

"So, we can defend. The flag glows, so we find a place which can hide the glow if anyone looks, and guard it. They have to come get it eventually, and when they do, we tag all of them out and look for their flag peacefully." Four says, voicing his rationale. It's good reasoning, except that clumping at the site where we hide the flag draws unneeded attention and will almost guarantee a position give-away. Plus, we're standing in a large, mostly open space, the only possible hiding spots which will offer real cover are the building in the far distance on the opposite side of the field or a large factory-like building near us, both obvious hiding places. I dismiss the idea in my head, not wanting to hurt Four by saying it aloud.

"That's a bullshit idea." Eric snaps back at him. So much for not hurting Four.

"Oh yeah? You got a better idea? Mr. Erudite Nose-it-all?" Zeke snaps back at him. I can see side forming in front of me. Sean, Austin, Eric, and that bloody bitch of a girl on one side and Four, Zeke and Shauna on the other side. This isn't a team. It's a war zone.

"Yeah. As a matter of fact, I have. Offense. We're Dauntless now. We're not going to sit and wait it out like a bunch of Amity, trying to avoid conflict at all costs, we're going to hunt them down, and kill them all" He says, his lips curling into a snarl. What happened to him?

Again, I consider the idea, as absurd as it sounds. All of us marching in means that we won't be defending the flag. If we, do it right now, we won't be able to find a good hiding place for the flag. It will have to be on one of us. It would be as good as delivering the package to them. And we still won't know where their flag is. Plus, blazing in with all guns is a purely Dauntless approach. It isn't sensible. It's not even brave, it's stupid. And we need to think this through.

"And what? Deliver the flag to them? Now that's the bullshit idea." Four snaps back with venom in his voice. Tobias wouldn't have snapped at someone like that. But he isn't Tobias anymore. He is Four. The Dauntless prodigy.

"Well at least I'm not planning to lie and wait for them to take my flag." Eric says, with a gleam of red in his eyes.

"Yeah, you're doing them one better and delivering it to their doorstep."

"I'm not a stiff. If they want my flag, they're gonna have to take it. I'm not going to give it to them."

"Well, you're not Dauntless either, you're not brave, you're stupid. Just like your idea."

"Stiff"

"Nose"

I look at them in each other's faces, the rest of the team have sunk into the background doing their own thing. We are never going to achieve victory if this keeps up.

"Will both of you shut up?!" I say, my voice taking me by surprise. Both boys sink back for a second before Eric regains his inability to think rationally and messes with me.

"You're just a little stiff. You're scared. You're just hiding behind that new haircut and those fancy black clothes."

I'm split into two minds. And I'm exasperated at myself for thinking like it.